Wilders & in/out www's to my comp ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CloneRanger, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Been watching my connections with PE and noticed these entries appearing, several times. This happens with cache cleared etc in FF & a fresh reload coming directly here.

I've numbered the entries top to bottom 1 - 18

spy1.gif

I couldn't copy/paste the info from the following screenies, for some unknown reason ? so i had to take screenies of ALL 18 & then mash them together.

a.gif

b.gif

c.gif

All the listed www's are related to apps on Wilders.

What i'd like to know is, why do i see inbound & outbound UDP connections to those www's whilst visiting here ?

TIA

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Are you becoming paranoid? Lol, this is either the second or third post related to traffic. I'm not being a smartass, I promise, lol. I don't know, do you HAVE the apps listed in the log? Why Javacool would be connecting out a lot, I don't know, unless you perhaps have automated updates? It beats me, though to be honest I'm not good enough to diagnose firewall logs.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Paranoia? Dude, we're all regulars on a security forum! LOL ;)

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

All of those are simply links on the index page of the forum. In the description line for each vendor forum section is a clickable link to the vendors home webpage. However, the forum is not connecting you out to those websites automatically. They are only present as standard HTTP URL links which must be clicked in order to access those sites.

If you are making connections to those sites by just using the forum, then you must be running some kind of link scanner or browser add-on/utility that either preloads, caches or scans webpage links. I assume you do have such a thing on your system because of your other thread "Outbounds to Google" where you describe automatic connections being made by your computer there, as well.

Wilders Security is one of the few forums (and websites for that matter) that has no imbedded third-party webserver objects. You will never be connected to any other website just by accessing forum pages. We don't even allow members to use IMG tag links to image hosting websites as that would make connections to unknown and/or untrusted websites without the users permission. See this announcement regarding that forum configuration decision:

Announcement: Third-party hosted image linking disabled

Looking specifically at your first image, UDP Port 53 are DNS lookups. So, the utility on your system is probably seeing the description links and looking them up in DNS for some reason.

5. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

If I am not wrong that's DNS prefetching. You can disable it by setting network.dns.disablePrefetch to true.

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Ah, looks like you nailed it...

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.dns.disablePrefetch

So, Firefox has a built-in feature that looks for links contained in whatever webpage you are viewing, and prefetches the DNS lookups in order to speed up load times. Interesting.

7. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Ya think :D

And ? :p

Well at least i & others found out some things we didn't know before, so that's gotta be good, i would have thought ;)

:D

@ LowWaterMark

No linkscanner & i have this set like this, which i expected would help ?

pre.gif

I didn't think Wilders was to blame ;)

Not good :thumbd:

Looks like your'e right :thumb: Top man :)

I checked & just changed them, Thanks :thumb:

dns.gif

network.prefetch-next was set to false though :thumb:

RequestPolicy is set like this

rp6.gif

What's best for blocking ?

TIA

Thanks to all the responders, i've learnt a few new things today :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.