Wildcard usage

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by rickontheweb, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickontheweb

rickontheweb Registered Member

Instead of hijacking richf's thread I thought I ask in a new one.

How does one use wildcards in a single statement to protect everything under and after a certain point in an entry?

Picking a random entry for example, if "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Ole" has values in it, along with additional subkeys (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Ole\Whatever) and those subkeys also have subkeys (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Ole\Whatever\More).

Would "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Ole\**" protect all entries in "Ole", all subkeys under "Ole" and their subkeys? Or would I need something like "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Ole**\**" ?

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Ole**"

Would do what you want. If there is a \ after Ole, then it won't include the key Ole and its value in its match.

3. rickontheweb

rickontheweb Registered Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

After searching thru the registry on anything I newly created or imported, I had changed some of the wildcard settings on a couple older imported rules incorrectly.

But all fixed now. Many thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.