WiFi vs Ethernet? (Security/VPN)

Discussion in 'polls' started by iunlock, Dec 26, 2014.

?

How do you connect?

1. WiFi Only over VPN

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Ethernet Only over VPN

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Both, Ethernet when I can and WiFi if I have to.

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. iunlock

iunlock Registered Member

Hello all, great forum...glad to have found it.

Upon researching this topic, it's interesting to have seen the scales tip over the years, where the use of an Ethernet cable instead of WiFi was the obvious choice for obvious reasons. However, today with how far WiFi has come in both speed and security....are the scales now balanced?

I use a VPN (Two of the top 3 mentioned here) and am using an iMac. Can someone please confirm if my set up is good enough and/or recommend something else if need be?

For general use & work: I've been connecting via WiFi over VPN w/ using this program called LinkLiar. Any Mac users familiar with that? Is there something you'd recommend that is better?....

For work I'm always Accessing Servers, uploading/downloading, backing up database etc...

Browser: I use Firefox with the respected add-on's. I don't use Chrome... occasionally I use Tor....all over VPN.

Security & Speed wise, the obvious choice is to plug it in directly yes? Or is that a thing of the past with today's 'ac' WiFI Routers etc...?

I'm just curious about the following:

1. Mac users: Could you provide a list of programs that you use if any when connecting over WiFi?
    2. Do you connect via Ethernet whenever you can? Or do you just stay on WiFi?
    3. Before exiting the browser, do you wipe/clear cache etc? (I do this every time...)
    4. Any other recommendations for general security?

Thanks in advance.

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

3. I only surf "sandboxed" and it auto clears upon closing the browser, which I do between every site. This is for my family windows machine.

My hobby machine is all linux and TOR takes care of this when I close the TBB. Use fresh VM's every few days.

4. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Ethernet - one

Wi-Fi - three

That is all:)

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It's certainly more secure to be hardwired into your router than to connect wirelessly. Even with strong safeguards in place, it's more secure not to have it be a possibility at all to be compromised remotely. A perp would have to have physical access to your router (be plugged into the thing). And even then, if you make your routers IP range only 1 character long (your own machines IP address), they still won't be able to because it'll say that IP is already assigned to a machine on that LAN. That's a good idea for a single PC user.

Now if what I'm going for is anonymity on the other hand... public WiFi using nested VPN's is the way to go... not from your house. And in the (purely theoretical) case that you're using a VPN paid for by cash, by being given a customer ID#, where you need not give away any personally identifiable info.,... then obtain the customer ID# using public WiFi as well through https/proxied.

I'm convinced that true anonymity cannot be obtained from your own place of residence, no matter what measures you take.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

3 Wireless and 2 ethernet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.