Wifi Connection

Discussion in 'hardware' started by DX2, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DX2

DX2 Guest

I bought a new Dell Laptop with Windows 8.1. I am using Comcast with 50mb download speed. Now on my older laptop, that is running Windows 7, i get around 45mb download over wifi, but on my new laptop only around 11mb download. I called Dell, they couldn't do anything for me and when i called Comcast, they said because it's over wifi, there is no guaranteed speed. She also said maybe my wifi card was better in my HP. My HP wifi adapter is Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn.

On my older HP laptop, i used a program call TCPOptimizer, which sped up my internet speed, but doesn't seem to support Windows 8 yet.

Are there any tweaks i can do to resolve this?

Specs
    Windows 8.1
    Intel Core i7
    16gb Memory
    Wifi Adapter Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260.

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Wireless will be considerably slower than a wired connection. My laptop is 6' away from my Linksys EA6200 (AC900) and I have an AC protocol capable WLAN card.

With wired I see 45-50Mbps down speeds and 10Mbps up speeds. Wireless with the same distance I see about 20-30Mbps down speeds and 5Mbps up speeds. The kicker is wireless AC is in theory gigabit wireless so theoretically I shouldnt see any drop in speeds over a Cat5E cable.

Right click your network connection in the tray and select open Network and Sharing center > Change Adapter settings on the far left side of the screen > Select your wireless card and right click > Select properties > Select configure under the NIC name at the top of the box that pops up.

First thing to do is go to the power management tab and uncheck the box that says allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Second thing to do is go to the Advanced Tab. There will be a list of properties and their values. Can you provide that list to us?

3. DX2

DX2 Guest

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Since both your old and your new notebook connect via wifi, and the old is much faster, I would suspect the new adapter. I would make sure it is connecting via 11n.

5. DX2

DX2 Guest

How do i do that?

6. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.