Wifi adapter stopped working?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by roark37, Dec 3, 2015.

1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi,

On my barely year old small Asus laptop all of a sudden the internal wifi adapter has stopped working. It is a Broadcom adapter and it first it had trouble connecting to router then after a reboot it does not even detect any networks at all and message says Adapter could not start(failed) or something like that. So I uninstalled adapter as I read it was recommended and then on reboot it did reinstall it but still the same problem and nothing seems to be happening with it and no networks detected and not even working at all. Any recommendations on what to try? There is an option to update driver software in the choices so I was thinking of trying that but is it safe to do? Any other ideas? Thanks.

Also, if nothing works my backup plan is to maybe buy a usb wifi adapter but are some(most?) of those just plug and play? And do those tend to work well or at least as well as internal wifi adapters?

Thanks.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Is this Windows? Did you do any OS updates?

Updating the driver might help. USB WiFi adapters are usually plug & play. Speed will be limited by the USB bus, but that won't likely be a problem.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@roark37 If it turns out to be a faulty wifi adapter, usually they are pretty easy to replace, and can be purchased on eBay.

4. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

Wireless network cards have a couple of flying leads plugged in for the Aerial.

I would look to see if one of these has come off. If so, its a simple matter to push it back on.

Otherwise you can try removing the card and re-inserting it.

5. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Check that you haven`t hit that wifi enable/disable key by mistake.

Regards Eck:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.