Wi-Fi Protected Setup ( wps )

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by mick92z, Sep 30, 2014.

1. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Apologies if this has been asked before , I am thinking of buying a new cheap router, (netgear) .
    Is it sufficient to just disable the wps pin ( the only option on this router )
    Does this stop brute force attacks. Thank you

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Some older NETGEAR router is also vulnerable even with PIN off. So it depends on the model.
    Something that

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

4. mick92z

There seems to be no definitive answer, no lists to check against. This is the only one I can find, and it is very limited https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...rue&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250
    The router i was thinking of buying is the Netgear WRN 2200

According to Netgear the vulnerability lies with the pin, so theoretically, disabling the pin, should be enough, even though WPS is not fully disabled. Though according to your link, it says " We’d be a bit worried about leaving WPS enabled, even if the PIN option appears to be disabled."

Surely this problem must affect 99% of home routers. I will keep looking

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. mick92z

7. fax

fax Registered Member

As you have seen from the google doc on certain firmware you are still vulnerable even if PIN is off. You need to ensure that whatever router you pick-up has a very recent firmware (e.g. R6200, R6300, etc...). Just double check the NETGEAR support page and look for the release notes of the firmware or check on their FTP site (ftp://downloads.netgear.com/). Also choose a router model for which you can find an alternative firmware (http://www.myopenrouter.com/). This way once the router is EOL by the manufacturer you can move to the alternative firmware....

Cheers,
    Fax

8. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From Waiting For The WPS Fix:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.