Why you don't need a firewall (article)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MrBrian, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Clearly, any time you add new code to a system, whether it be a patch for a known vulnerability or a new software application you should expect the attacker surface area of your system to change. Even if that new code patches known vulnerabilities, it is likely adding new vulnerabilities that an attacker could exploit. But unless an attacker specifically targets you for this reason, the benefit gained seems justifiable, imho. These types of debates can be healthy as I'm sure everyone has their own opinion of what risks are justifiable. It might be best practice thought to look at separating these types of solutions from the actual system themselves. We already do this with corporate security by isolating and establishing a sort of "DMZ" zone between the reals system (in most) and internet facing system (outer most).

2. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Though firewalls can't protect you from all the dangers out there they still add a level of
    protection for your computer.

The idea of running without any type of firewall (hardware or software) seems very risky
    to me. I prefer the combo of hardware firewall and software firewall for outbound monitoring.

Note: Would change the default settings. Check for updates.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well said. If a hacker wants to hack someone, it is not the question, if he can do it, but more like how long does it take.
    NSA or FBI have experts watching network nonstop and even they can not stop them, just delay them like any security application.
    You have no idea, how I felt, when I decided to try it out, especially without AV, I was scanning my PC like 20 times a day, now I do not bother at all.
    But as it was said, it is about a risk assessment, I have nothing valuable in PC, but if I had like a million dollars on my online account, I would not risk it.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I haven´t read the whole article, but personally I think that home user firewalls that monitor for outbound connections are very useful.

I just hate it when apps are phoning home for no good reason. :)

5. charincol

charincol Registered Member

When I first joined this forum years ago, I was caught up in the security software frenzy. I ended up deciding it was a waste of time to have a computer if all I seemingly used it for was to test and configure security apps never-endingly.

For years now (coming up on a decade) a router with NAT (built-in firewall off), Firefox with NoScript (I refuse to use Chrome with past revelations of breaches of privacy), and virtual machines have been the foundation of my security. Later I added FDISR for host disaster/virus recovery back when you could still buy it (barely). I still have yet to use it for an unintentional/surprise virus infections. I don't even remember that Windows has a built-in firewall anymore except when a program asks for server privileges which I usually give cause I know what's requesting them.

6. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

7. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

I use a firewall to control applications that call home without my permission. Applications nowadays are very nasty when it comes to calling home or connecting to or launching a browser without your permission. Like with the new KMPlayer. Just closing the player launches my default browser! I wanna be in full control of all my applications.

8. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
  9. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

And yet, properly setup XP without any updates or SP1 would be safer than fully patched XP, I tested it and it works. :)

11. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Unless an expert does an audit on your computer it cannot be said not to be compromised. As far as having "...nothing valuable in PC..." one must remember identity theft as well as data theft. Certain data you may have might not have any value to you but it certainly may to others who are harvesting all the data they can get their hands on. This data is sold for real money and then used to target market you. You should not expect to see any of the money that your data generated.

Even if one does not have any concerns about large corporations constructing profiles on people and selling this information one should remember that if that profile information can be obtained (with or without the law) it can be used against someone even if they have not done anything wrong. Or...have there never been anyone incarcerated unjustly ever anywhere in the world including so-called developed nations?

Best regards

12. ald4r1s

ald4r1s Registered Member

Main reason I use firewall is because it gives me the ability to block undesired outbound connections,. i.e. when application crashes it automatically sends crash report, and I do not want it to send it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.