Why Won't Javacool Help?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MikeF., May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeF.

MikeF. Guest

There have numerous posts within the last few days about not being able to update new SpywareBlaster 3.1. Why won't Javacool respond to these pleas for help? To summarize: When trying to update we get the message: "Error connecting to Update server." Checking the box under Update Options for the "alternate download method" doesn't help. Turning off firewalls doesn't help. Uninstalling and re-installing SWB doesn't help. Isn't it about time Javacool helped?
    Mike

2. MCT

MCT Registered Member

Hi,

javacool is really busy, just try downloading the database files manually

good luck :D

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Personally, I'll never make any such statements to Java because I simply enjoy and appreciate his free software and support too much to assume that he owes me anything.
    Anyway, further attention to these previous posts you mention might cause you to realize that Javacool is working very hard at a SWB version 3.2 which should fix these problems. Personally, I feel this is more productive than answering all the threads with "well I'm working on it."

I'm not trying to be rude, but believe me, when Javacool has the fix we will all have access to it.

4. MikeF.

MikeF. Guest

Yes, I appreciate the software too, but they do have a responsibility to their users, even if it is freeware. Those of us who posted have no way of knowing if we have an isolated problem with our machine or if there is a systemic issue with SWB 3.1. I, personally, had already tried every fix I could find, and none of the suggestions from readers of this forum worked either. If the problem is with the software and probably not isolated to my computer, then that's all Javacool had to say. Simple as that. I read several posts similar to mine and not one response mentioned working on a new 3.2 version. No response whatsoever from JavaCool could cause people to mistakenly think they are not paying attention to the problem. I will admit I was frustrated, but I do not think my post was unfair.

5. MCT

MCT Registered Member

actually he doesnt owe anyone squat, he does this as a favor 2 us all

if u were 2 look in other posts he has made refrences that hes working on SB 3.2

6. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

I must be gettin' old or somethin': it took me a bit over two minutes to decide whether or not to post a reply! Anyway, here it is:

Mike, in case you hadn't noticed, this area (SpywareBlaster and Other Forum) is fairly busy. Yes, a great number of these posts have to do with SWB 3.1 problems, but others don't, and Javacool can be found everywhere in this forum, trying to get everyone squared away. Did you consider the possibility that the 'news' about the upcoming SWB 3.2 might be elsewhere? It's odd, though: I recall having read of this new version also, and most of what I read and reply to here are SWB problems, so ... where did I find it? Hmmm ...?

Javacool's responsibility is entirely self-imposed; he has absolutely no responsibility to service his programs - except for whatever he cares to give. This is FREEware, Mike, which is generally 'use at your own risk'. If you check his website for a EULA regarding SWB, you'll probably find the standard 'not responsible for blah, blah ...' that legalities force upon programmers.

Believe me when I say that I understand your frustration; I've had a couple of problems with the last couple of versions myself. Given time, however, Javacool has provided a fix -- or I figured out what was 'wrong' at my end. Please, give him the time, and stop trying to lay 'responsibility' where it doesn't really belong.

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I am indeed very busy at the moment, but my hope is that things will calm down soon. And I do thank you for your patience.

In response to your question:

Have you tried checking your HOSTS file? It's possible that something that infected your system at some point ended up using it to block access to the update server.

Other than that, this is certainly odd behavior. :doubt: What version of Windows are you running?

And I am indeed busy working on SpywareBlaster 3.2 also - there are a few problems (although updating-related issues aren't one of them) that I have been able to reproduce and that I'm working on fixing (including the "This program appears corrupted" error, the run-time error 14 at program start, the "SpywareBlaster hangs with 100% cpu and doesn't start" error, and a few other misc. items - two of those errors are related to an abnormally large registry.dat file used by Netscape, and can be fixed by deleting it).

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. MikeF.

MikeF. Guest

I tried to check my Hosts file, but could not open the file because Windows did not know how it was created. I tried Notepad, but only got a sample file. Don't know what to do with Hosts file. I'm using XPHome. Problem still exists after about 4 weeks, since I first downloaded SWB.

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Mike,

You may know already but the Hosts file will NOT have an extension on the end....meaning no .txt, .sam.....etc. Have you searched your hard drive for any\all files with the word hosts ?

10. MikeF.

MikeF. Guest

Bubba, I found my host file under Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/host, but could not open it as I described above. When I ran a search for all host files I found several temporary internet files as well as a couple Win98 files. (I now run XPHome) However, I did notice that my file is host not HOST as it should be. I read that if you run Ad-aware (I do) and delete certain objects found it will change HOST to host. I don't really understand the ramifications, but that could be a clue to my problem.
    MikeF.

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Mike,

Windows is not case sensitive when it comes to the Hosts file. It can be Hosts, HOSTS, hosts....etc. Also....are you mistakenly typing the word Host without an s because the actual Host file has an s.

Also....if you open up Notepad and browse to the Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/ folder and select the Hosts file your not able to open it ?

12. MikeF.

MikeF. Guest

Bubba,
    Thanks for your replys. I guess I was actually opening my HOSTS file all along, and only thought I
    had opened a "sample" because of the wording. I copied my HOSTS file and
    pasted below. If this is truly my HOSTS file, then nothing is under
    127.0.0.1 localhost. Shouldn't something be there? My comments are
    continued below this paste:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

I found two entries in WinHelp and a Lavasoft Knowledge Base regarding
    Ad-Aware and the HOSTS file. First of all, I read that the HOSTS file is
    supposed to be in capital letters, and that Ad-Aware can replace the HOSTS
    file with hosts. I have copied and pasted these articles below. I don't
    know if this caused my problem, regarding being unable to connect for
    SpywareBlaster updates, or not. I'm hoping those more talented than myself
    can read all this and comment.
    Many thanks,
    Mike

1) Attention Ad-Aware users
    Ad-Aware has decided to include a new detection when scanning the HOSTS
    file. This now creates a "Bad hosts file entry" in the log file generated at
    the end of a scan. The best thing to do is to place a check in each entry,
    right-click and select: "Add selection to ignorelist". Otherwise if you let
    AWW "fix" these items it will trash the HOSTS file! Even if you have it
    "locked" by [example] SpywareBlaster or Winpatrol. It does not return the
    attributes and renames the HOSTS file incorrectly to hosts. [more info]

2) Several HOSTS File Entries Indicated By Ad-aware Despite No Other Items
    Being Indicated
    Lavasoft Knowledge Base Article 04052201
    Several HOSTS File Entries Indicated By Ad-aware Despite No Other Items
    Being Indicated
    SYMPTOM

During an Ad-aware scan, several entries are listed in the scan
    results
    indicating that a "Possible Hostsfile Hijack" is taking place. The
    entries listed may be created by a known source, such as a
    pre-assembled
    hosts file designed to help prevent items such as trackware from being
    successfully downloaded, or by a program designed to use the hosts
    file in
    its normal operation.

CAUSE

Some of the entries included in these pre-assembled hosts file lists
    and
    by some programs which use the hosts file are also used by items in
    Ad-aware's detection. Since Ad-aware cannot determine the source of
    the
    entry in the hosts file, and that the entry could possibly be created
    by
    an item in Ad-aware's detection, the item in the hosts file is listed.

RESOLUTION

If the system is using a hosts file which has been pre-assembled, or
    is
    running a program which utilizes the hosts file, and the listing is
    related to these reasons, add the items listed by Ad-aware to the
    ignorelist to prevent their listings during future scans.

©2004 Lavasoft. All rights reserved. Terms of use | Privacy policy

13. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

The file is "Hosts" in my XP-Home -- I suspect that the not-case-sensitive thing is absolutely correct, and I therefore don't understand the warning from Lavasoft (about renaming it to "hosts", that is -- the contents may very well get corrupted if it's edited and re-saved, I'll take their word for that).

If you right-click on it in Explorer, select Open With ... and then choose Notepad (don't tick the always-use box).

If you want to make it handy to take a quick look at the file and make sure nothing unwanted has snuck into it, a shortcut's useful -- "send to ..." desktop as shortcut. The first time you use the shortcut, it'll ask you what to open it with -- again select Notepad without ticking the always-use box, and it'll modify the shortcut accordingly.

14. MikeF.

MikeF. Guest

Looks like I was barking up the wrong tree with the Ad-Aware thing and the possibility my HOSTS file was changed. I was actually opening my HOSTS file all along even though it had been renamed "hosts", and there was just nothing there other than the sample. I just didn't recognize it because it was the first time ever to view it. I have checked my Internet Security Restricted Zones and found nothing there related to Javacool or SWB, so I don't believe anything there is blocking updates. In fact, most of the entries there were by SWB. So now I'm back to square one, and still cannot update SWB.
    MikeF.

15. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

One last note about Hosts -- HostsFileReader.exe is a dandy utility to have, it'll view, edit, and if you like delete any hosts file you have "onboard", in addition to the default one. Supposedly it can find these regardless of name or location.

Sorry I don't have an addy handy, but it should be easy enough to find (freeware).

16. MikeF.

MikeF. Guest

I guess I have more than just a problem with SpywareBlaster updates. I downloaded SpyGuard and ran into the same problem in that I cannot connect to the server for updates. Something is blocking me, and I can't find it. I know it's not ZoneAlarm because I turned it off and still could not connect. I'm stuck.
    MikeF.

17. Xaq

Xaq Registered Member

My House, it's on that street with the thing
    Mike, just a thought, did u give ZoneAlarm permission to allow Spywareblaster to access the internet because I remember I had the same problem once and thats how I fixed it. Just because ZAs not running doesn't mean it'll let Spyware Blaster access the net.

18. Erik Ayala

Erik Ayala Guest

This is true. Also, you might want to try typing something in and then maybe deleting it and then save. If your computer says "cannot find path" save it as a .txt file, delete the old one and then rename your newly built file without the file extension (.txt). By the way my Hosts file is named "hosts" on XP Home, all lowercases and it works, I know cuz I've tested it. In addition, I've never EVER had SWB problems, ever. So I'm guessing that these people that have "update problems" after uninstalling and reinstalling don't know the benefits of having a clean registry. Or they have software hard drive errors. Both of these problems are easily addressable. One, get a registry cleaner. Two, run a ScanDisk (Win9:cool: or CheckDisk (WinXP). So in short, it IS just a few people's unkempt machines having problems. The only beef I have with SWB is a small compatibility issue isolated to my machine only with one particular CLSID but that's no one's fault and I don't blame anyone for it. Thanks Javacool.

19. MikeF.

MikeF. Guest

Yes, I have set ZoneAlarm to ask permission to connect for SpywareBlaster updates. It asks and I OK, only I never connect. I don't have a messy registry because I ran 2 different cleaners. And I have run XP CheckDisk and Defrag. I have also downloaded SpywareGuard and set ZA to ask permission. But ZA doesn't ask, and of course I don't connect. I have tried clicking on the donation links in both SWB and SWG, and cannot connect to Javacool, yet get there just fine other ways. I'm dumbfuzzled!
    MikeF.

20. Erik Ayala

Erik Ayala Guest

Have you tried posting a HijackThis log in the Adware/spyware/hijack Cleaning forum? Make sure there's no other "baddie" giving you crap. ;)

21. MikeF.

MikeF. Guest

Since I received so much help, I feel obligated to update everyone on my initial problem downloading updates to SpywareBlaster. I finally "fixed" the problem and successfully updated both SpwareBlaster and SpywareGuard. I had tried everything regarding ZoneAlarm firewall rules, and a whole list of things too numerous to mention. Although I had already done this once, I decided to go back again and uninstall and clean up any old programs no longer used or previously discarded. I found Hijack Browser Blaster (?) or something like that, and also AVG antivirus. I had forgotten about both of these. I thought I had gotten rid of AVG when I learned you shouldn't run 2 different AV's. (I have Norton AV.) After uninstalling these, and then deleting any accompanying files I could find, I once again ran a registry cleaner, CheckDisk, and Defrag. It worked! I still don't know whether it was the browser hijack blaster or AVG remnants causing my problem. Any comments?
    MikeF.

22. Erik Ayala

Erik Ayala Guest

Yea stupid remnant files! :) I know when I installed Avast I forgot to uninstall Norton, my computer crashed after every boot until I went in, in Safe Mode and got rid of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.