Why virus encyclopedia is so bad

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by vkeven, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vkeven

vkeven Registered Member

Hi , some activity with new viruses since last week and NOD32 completely miss the boat , I used Nod32 since 2 year ( approximetely 100 licenses ) and this is the first time I need it seriously and to bad the product is not up to the task and the website( virus encyclopedia) is completely useless.

I have version 4 last update ( both business and home )

One of my notebook was infected by virut and Nod32 could not clean it except deleting files , no repair tools ( or maybe I didn't find it ) but could not find any REAL instructions to remove it in manual mode ( like any good brand AV ) , so I used Grisoft rmvirut.exe tools. Next ( and this I could not beleive it ) , Nod32 detect virus name SpamTool.Agent.NAJ that I could not even find in Virus encyclopedia ( Threat Center ) . Maybe Nod32 should stop updating his Robocop
    and give us some tools to get the job done ala Sophos,Trend,Norton...

Just new one

Win32/Pinit
    Descriptions found in the NOD32 Virus Encyclopedia

Exact matches found: 0

No exact matches found!
    Check also www.eset.com.

an this is the virus name coming from the analys window of Nod 4!o_O

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Given that there are millions of threats and analysing one particular threat takes hours or even days, one really shouldn't expect to have description for each one.

As for cleaning Virut-infected files, make sure that you have advanced heuristics enabled while cleaning. If the scanner is unable to clean the files and you are positive they are legit files that hadn't been infected before, send a bunch of infected files in a RAR/ZIP archive protected with the password "infected" to samples[at]eset.com and something like "Virut - cleaner needed" in the subject.

4. m00nbl00d

The examples I gave were all for the same threat. For some reason www.eset.eu threats base is better maintained than the one at www.eset.com.

5. vkeven

vkeven Registered Member

This is simply not normal , eset please put yourself together or you will loose 100 licenses renew in the current and next year , there is to much different eset site for various part of this world with no uniformity at all , virus threat center database should be worldwide the exact samething.

PS : Sophos just found over 1785 infected files and Nod32 NOTHING! , you have what you pay for so now its time to look elsewhere.

6. GAN

GAN Registered Member

The virus encyclopedia from Eset lack a lot of information. I'm not sure what the average number of threats (technical details) Eset add to the virus encyclopedia each month, but they are way behind many of the competitors. I always use other sites for such information like Symantec, Trend, Avira or some other site since Eset usually do not have the information i'm looking for. It's been like that for a long time and maybe Eset doesn't have the resources to maintain such a database with all the new threats each day. I find it hard to believe there will be any huge changes to the virus encyclopedia from Eset in the close future so most likely you have to accept the way it is while using Nod32/ESS.

1785 infected files sounds like a lot and make Eset sound horrible, but if you are actually talking about a single threat that infected 1785 files then it doesn't sound that bad after all even if it caused serious damage to your system. In that case we are actually talking about one missed threat. How many different kind of missed threats tell a lot more then how many files that are infected.

7. m00nbl00d

I'm not saying that your system isn't infected, but, be aware that Sophos is know for having quite a few false positives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.