Why this nagging about snapshot storage location?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by E-Buzz, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

I dont have an USB harddrive on my system, and therefore consistently disabled the function to take automatic snapshots. But every single Windows startup Paragon B&R 10 build 9105 keeps asking for an USB backup location even though it is disabled. Annoying, to say the least. Can this message be turned off?

EDIT: I forgot to mention another "feature" that not makes me happy. Why is a directory created (in my case on the system disk) called "archdb", and why is it recreated every time i delete it? It contains two small files, one .ref and one .ptl file.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Sounds like the system backup feature is enabled and demanding the external hard drive. To disable: Start > Run > "msconfig" > System tab > uncheck "dbhagent".

The folder archdb and its files is the library file to keep track of your archive list. You'll noticed after any successful backup with Backup & Recovery, the archive is listed inside of "Archive" tab, that entry is written in the ptl file.

3. alternety

alternety Registered Member

Re: the ptl file. Is it necessary during a recovery? If so, should it not be stored where the user decides to store it (like the backup drive)?

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I don't think you need it for recovering a single image. Without it, Paragon won't automatically know where the image is, or list it under the archives view tab. You will need to browse for the image.

5. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Yes Tommy, the dbhagent were running despite the fact i´ve disabled automatic snapshot. Could we possibly have the option later on to chose where we want to store the .ptl and .ref files? Im not to keen of having obtrusive directories created in my system root, Why not put the files in the same directory as the main backup files?

6. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

I believe we moved the folder so it's globally shared amongst similar Paragon products. So if you ran a backup with DB 9, it also appears in the DB 10 archive list. You could always hide the folder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.