Why Tenebril Spycatcher tried to hide its process from my taskmanger?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Astronomy, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astronomy

Astronomy Registered Member

I installed this product because the download.com says it is the top 10

Spyware killer,i performed a quick scan,At the same time i opened a anti-

rootkit tool,but immediately the tool find a hidden process,which name

is "Protector.exe" in the Spycatcher's directory.i didn't believe the anti-

spyware product may be a rootkit,so i tried using some common tools

include Window's taskmanger to find the special process,but all failed finally.

(:mad:

i don't know why this product hidden its process from windows?in my opinion,

it is similar to the event of the Sony's rookit.:(

2. remivan

remivan Registered Member

I installed Spycatcher 2006 today, because Cnet and Computer Shopper rated it above Spybot. I then started to have problems with my system. If I tried to run another (simple) program at the same time Spycatcher was scanning, I experienced SEVERE slowdown. After I gave Spycather time to do its job, I found severe slowdown running apps with Spycatcher running its "protection" in the background. Since I know my machine is malware-free, (despite Spycatchers false positives and mostly "unknown" processes) I decided to uninstall it. Believe me - that is not easy. I had trouble opening up the Spycatcher app and its uninstaller would not proceed because it sensed Spycatcher running in the background. It wouldn't let me shut it off and it wouldn't let me uninstall it. I finally stopped the Spycatcher process in the Windows Task Manager (It was using 99 - 100% of the CPU cycles, and kept "Not Responding."). I was then able to uninstall it. I would advise people to steer clear of this app. Has anyone had a similar experience?

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I wouldn't put much trust in the user reviews/ratings at cnet or download.com.
    You never know how much experience a particular reviewer has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.