why teatimer?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Erik Ayala, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Ayala

Erik Ayala Guest

What I'm wondering is why there would even be a need for the tea timer or SD Helper. I mean there's already an "Immunization" feature right? It blocks Active X controls, and in the new version, cookies and restricts bad site actions. And most of us that attend this site also use Spyware Blaster. I'd say we're pretty well covered for malicious program blocking. Somebody was saying Avenue A is a cookie blocked by SD Helper but Spyware Blaster already blocks like over 200 cookies including Avenue A. My hosts file is "read only" so no hijacking can take place. I consistently run Adaware and Spybot, they don't usually find anything and if they do it's not much. I've recently run Hijack This also with no problems. Is there really anything else to worry about or is it that some people are a little too excessive over security?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Tea Timer is another layer of protection that is not in most folks arsenal....Registry monitoring. The below link has a good visual explanation concerning Tea Timer.

This link---> What the Heck is Teatimer?

If your meaning a program can not modify a "read only" file...."Ever notice that Explorer can delete read-only files?" :) That means any other program (with access to the file) can do whatever they want to do to read-only files.

3. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

Teatimer provides registry monitoring and proactively checks executed apps for matching with the same fingerprints applied by the on-demand scanner.
    The list of monitored registry keys can be found in the thread: Registry monitor comparison
    It allocates 5mb memory and less than 1% CPU resources on my system.
    -hojtsy-

4. Charlesvar

Charlesvar Guest

For people that have little or no protection and DON't want to make decisions - the SSD's residents are great.

For others, that other layer of protection can be a layer too much. I've read of people having conflicts with javacool's software already. After a while, it gets silly to filter everything thru multiple redundant filters of one sort or another.

As for protecting the resgistry, RegProt has been around for a long time and certainly has a small footprint and doesn't depend on anyone's idea of what a valid/invlaid registry change ought to be.

For myself, experienced at deciding, apps such as SSM ( the one I use) - ProcessGuard, along with the "usual supects" security apps are quite enough thankyou. Will continue using SSD as the suberb malware scanner that it is.

Regards - Charles

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I agree and then there are those that have learned enough, experienced at deciding and require even less protection than you mentioned by simply securing their browser properly. It still boils down personal preference, choices, knowledge and what works for one does not always work for others. Every user needs to be comfortable, knowledgeable and eager to learn about layers that fit their needs when it comes to Internet Security because there are way to many scum bags, chicken liver, low life PUNKS with nothing better to do....attempting to make innocent users surfing unenjoyable.. :(

6. Ruffian

Ruffian Guest

I guess this is what I use Teatimer for mostly. Registry monitoring is nice, but SSM does it better.

7. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there any benefit to running TeaTimer with AdWatch? I have a registered verison of AdAware Pro...it comes with AdWatch....seems like it does the same thing as TeaTimer. Anyone know?

8. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

At least their malware databases are different, so one of them may detect a malware missed by the other. I also have an impression that TeaTimer has a bit more comprehensive registry monitoring. For example, do I remember right that Ad-Watch does not alert on autostart entry removals? TeaTimer does and that is a Good Thing.
    -hojtsy-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.