Why TDS is not for 99% of PC users and what DiamondCS should do...

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by wizardavc, Jun 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree with openSource.
    TDS-3 Updates are basically a one-click task in the registered version.
    A full scan is easy to do.
    These two tasks cover the basic necessities.Always update and a full scan periodiocally is a good idea.

The Scan configuration is not hard to use either.
    There are lots of scan options and TDS-3 startup scan options as well.

Tools:
    Maybe there are more tools than an average net surfer would use.
    The fact that they are available is a huge bonus in TDS-3 IMO!
    I use quite a few of them myself and I appreciate the ease of using port-related scans for an example.
    I don't use all of the tools.
    But it is reassuring to know that they are right there in TDS-3 if I need them!

It's true that TDS-3 is as complex or easy as you want to make it.
    That's where the support and helpfiles come in very handy. ;)

2. iCQ

iCQ Registered Member

Wizardavc does have a good point there, but like Wayne shows, only 2 clicks are needed to do what all those other Trojan scanners do (Make that 3 clicks if u do not have TDS on auto start :p). And what about TDS start at windows startup? I can only count 0 mouse clicks there (I miss a TDS command line option for a full system scan though)!

I think all the extras, advanced features, the help and information that is included, give the user a perfect way to learn more about the matter. Everybody knows that awareness is a necessary.

I could "accept" an extra (desktop) shortcut to be added for the more simple users that will start TDS doing a full system scan and maybe even an automated cleanup. But I am very sure Wayne will NEVER become so naive to remove all these extra's to end up loosing the competitive edge that TDS has now.

MANY years ago I fell in love with this baby; it would break my heart when she would loose her diverse, interesting and hot character. You can even dress her up pretty with the bar graphics (where are they anyway Wayne? ;)). Or you knit her a dress yourself!

Do not forget that the professionals are the ones that the more simple end users take advice from! Me personally never had ANY complains from my clients! Every single one of them has been VERY interested in the advanced features! And thought I love teaching them how to find answers by using search engines it just isn’t as efficient as a short demonstration or a few clicks in a help file.

Some of the (rare) features are surely not always used to defend against Trojans but they are great additions that make TDS a VERY powerful tool!

I felt like making a new thread; Why TDS is for 100% of PC users and what DiamondCS should do...

3. iCQ

iCQ Registered Member

functions that i miss in TDS

-----functions that i miss in TDS-----
    About the tcp scanner, i prefer superscan (or nmap). Please take a look at that one Wayne, maybe it can inspire you a little. http://www.foundstone.com/resources/proddesc/superscan.htm

Bridge and port listners,
    CommView and Essential NetTools Both have rare features and functionality that i havent seen in any other SMALL software packs/tool. These are both not at all of any use in defending against trojans but both are very usefull when one wants to find out WHAT the trojan does, what is send to the attacker or WHO the attack is. Now i personally wouldnt advice people to execute a trojan but this sure beats a sandbox. All u need is a bogus box which you infect, let the attacker do what he wants. And filter change the passwords or information you want to protect.

http://www.tamos.com/products/commview/
    and
    http://www.tamos.com/products/nettools/

Blackice from network ice also have some features that might fit in with the complex TDS :D.
    -The intrusion detection which logs and lists incomming events.
    -Event info linking to an online database. Includes advice, what it means, what to do, risk levels and so on.
    -Packet logs and evidence logs.

http://blackice.iss.net/product_pc_protection.php
    A (flash) demo:
    http://blackice.iss.net/demo.php

Of course these all are not fully anti trojan related programs and do not do what TDS does. Still i would not mind to see some of the features to be added in TDS!

P.s. Please do not make the TDS installation 50mb ;)

4. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:D personaly what needs to be done is stuff like fan j and open source post click here click there done now this is what it does

i dont like high end talk lots of picks are a must

you know those guys at gav that made the gav manual with like 42 pages of easy to do stuff with lots of pics

you should get the gav team to do a tds full manual

if you dont belive me check out there pdf gav manual

thats how tds should be done with newbie in mind

5. iCQ

iCQ Registered Member

Lol... good point. I think we all can easily say "do this, do that, add feature X, hire guys Y". I feel a bit bad to post links and bring in so many idea’s while I know the team is already very busy. TDS still is a one of its kind. It can only grow and the team should do and make what they feel is best. I wish I had more time to support them instead of publicly criticize their work.

But [me=iCQ]is happy, no fundamental arguments have come up yet for NOT buying TDS![/me]

I can’t wait to see TDS-4… and I hope to see diamondcs grow, grow and grow!

(Moderator please feel free to edit my posts as needed, I am new on the forum and I am not aware of the forum policy.)

One more comment:
    [glow=red,2,300]Please DO compare the prices and effectiveness of TDS compared to the packages I mentioned above ;-). GO TDS![/glow]

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi ICQ, welcome to the DCS forum too!
    Thanks for the links, i'm sure Wayne and team knows the programs and what exactly you mean in those products.
    I wondered what the 6000068 stands for? ICQ downloads?

Blaze for the TDS manual, somebody printed it and came over 300 pages, and it is very comprehensive, images, everything is inthere, with a quickstart, and more.
    It does not have a copy of my msagent quickstart script which has Genie pointing the buttons and telling what to do for your first scan. Is somewhere in the forum here.

7. iCQ

iCQ Registered Member

thanks for the welcome

Yes true hahaha, i made it look like i thought they dont know the software. But of course they do know it ;-).

iCQ... well... u know... everybody has a nickname these days when they are online. I use(d) icq a lot, to chat.. make friends, on the job and so on. I really like the icq IM program. I also play quite a lot online games... and i needed a short simple nickname that would be easy for people to remember and type in (in game chat). And i wanted it to be easy for people to find me back after a round. So i decided to just use icq 6000068 in games. So they know where to find me on icq. I couldnt use an email address since many games do not support the @ symbol in a nickname.

6000068... that is my icq number... but its also my phone number <removed for privacy reasons>. Everybody hates to remember icq numbers and phone numbers... so i tried to make it a bit more easy for people. A long time ago i had the nickname "The Extricator" but lol.. i hardly seen anybody type it in ;-).

Jooske... u know that that is a dutch/fries name?!

-------EDIT------

Och i just took a look in your profile and hahaha... ur dutch! Hmmm... haven't we ran into each other before? I remember a 'joske' being into similar... bla bla bla... can't be you... if it is... pffffffffffff (no further comment ;))

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Now you make me curious and please do that part in the IM here. I'm not Joske but i'm named that a lot so... don't know i'm not overrun by people a lot, so details in the private IM please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.