Why so many integrity errors?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by otalip, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otalip

otalip Registered Member

I downloaded Paragon Backup and Recovery 10.2 Free Edition last week

I ran a backup of my Windows XP system and it seemed to be successful. But when I did a "Check Archive Integrity" it failed. I got a list with line after line saying "Integrity error between sectors xxxxxxx and xxxxxxx."

I have made several attempts with the same results. There is a variation in the number of lines saying "Integrity error . . ." and there is variation of the sectors shown. There are always between 12 and 18 lines in the list of errors.

What could be causing these integrity errors?

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Please run CHKDSK C: /f from Windows command prompt ti check file system on system partition.

If it will find 0 errors, run backup again and check if Archive integrity also shows 0 errors.

3. otalip

otalip Registered Member

I did the CHKDSK C: /f but afterward I got the same result.

When I did another backup it looked like it was successful. But when I did an integrity check I got a list of 15 lines of integrity errors.

Is it possible that my anti-virus or some other program running in the background while I'm doing the backup is causing the problem?

4. Mech_An

Yes, it's possible that AV prevent correct backup.

Additionally please try to :
    1) Defrag partition Via Windows built-in Tool:
    right-click My Computer, select Manage, go to Storage section, choose Disk Defragmenter and run operation
    2) Change Hot Backup technology:
    - Open Paragon program
    - Go to Tools-Settings-Hot Processing Options
    - Check if "Enable Hot Processing" is selected
    - Choose Paragon Hot Processing in Hot processing technology section
    - Select "Use hot processing only when partition is locked"
    - Press OK

5. otalip

otalip Registered Member

No luck. I did the defrag operation and used the option to "use hot processing only when partition is locked." I also disabled my anti-virus and took the computer off-line before starting the backup.

The result was the same. What looked like a successful backup could not pass the integrity check.

I would welcome any other suggestions. I would really like to get this program to work for me.

6. Mech_An

Please try to check archive health another way:
    * go to Archives tab
    * right-click the required archive and select 'Restore files from archive'
    * in the File Transfer wizard select small file/folder for test and copy it to clipboard
    * then restore it to any desired destination.

If restore is successful, it means that Check Archive integrity wizard reports 'fake' errors

7. otalip

otalip Registered Member

I was able to perform this test successfully. I deleted an unimportant folder from my C drive and then located that folder on the Paragon backup on my external USB drive. I then successfully restored the deleted folder back onto my C drive. I repeated this process successfully with two other folders.

How confident can I be from these small tests that the whole Paragon backup image really is good? Does this really prove that all those integrity error messages were bogus?

8. Mech_An

Unfortunately, it is not 100% prove that entire archive could be restored. But it proves that you can restore at least user data from backup.

The reason usually in file system errors.

9. otalip

otalip Registered Member

I guess I'll have to give up the idea of using Paragon to create a drive image I can count on.

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me out. If later on you should happen to think of something else I can try, please send any suggestions to me at schroeder809 -at- netscape-net.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2010
  10. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

What are you backing up to? Have you checked the destination for errors?

11. diabloNL

diabloNL Registered Member

I have to say that when I was using version 10505 of Backup & Recovery I never had any integrity errors. Now, since I upgraded to 11844 I have them very frequently. Of course I did all things like check disk etc. I just find it strange that I never had these probems until now.

I'm really thinking about going back to 10505. Is there a version change list for version 11844? I would like to now if something could stop me from going back.

12. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I am using 11844 from a WinPE boot USB, no problems creating or restoring images, no integrity errors. The interface has been (at last) simplified somewhat and it is better.

But I ran into severe problems when trying to install or uninstall the program, as I reported in this forum at the time.

Windows 7 x64.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.