Why Should I buy this Acronis TI product

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Escalader, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unimatrix

Unimatrix Registered Member

Are you shure about your statement ?

I think that the new release from ati 10 home will flood the forum with calls.

Unimatrix

2. himeros

himeros Registered Member

I would love to get ver 9 working with DVD's. I must be the only one that is having this problem, and I have updated to the latest build of 3,677. Some have said, I need to use a third party software like Nero to burn DVD's. I have someone helping me with this problem from the support team, but if anyone has the answer for me, please speak up. Thanks

Himeros:(

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Himeros, you realize that backing up directly to DVD is painfully slow, don't you? And if your backup needs more than one dvd the pain is tenfold. LOL. But that's only half of the story. Wait till you try to Restore from those dvds. Many on the forum recommend the 2-step method if you must have your backups on DVDs. First backup to a hard drive (external or internal) then burn the backups to dvd. Of course you have to plan ahead a little and make the backup image into slices that will fit on a dvd.

4. himeros

himeros Registered Member

Are you trying to cheer me up? That is sad, so everyone is using a second hard drive to backup with? Then could I take one large hard drive, part it into several drives, and use that to backup several computers to? Thanks for the reply, and help.

Himeros:doubt:

5. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

To add to this, ...wait till you have to use multiple DVD's (4.7gb), or start forking out money for Dual Layer. Best Buy occasionally has them on sale....$40.00 for a 20pck. That's $2 a backup. :blink:
    You're better off using a USB 2.0 External HD, or an Internal Spare HD. Formatted to NTFS....You can backup a HD with 25gb of Data on it ...into just ONE file. Now, try that on DVD. That would equal about 7 DVD's (4.7gb), and about 3 Daul Layer (8.5gb). Just think of the Laser in your DVD-Burner ...starting, and stopping during this process. Sounds like a lot error messages to me. :eek:

6. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Very good advice. Especially when you consider just how inexpensive external hard drives have become. Just a month or so ago I saw a Sunday ad for best buy where they had the 160 gb western digital external my book drives for only $89.99 with instant rebate. I picked oneup even though I already had a 250gb external and so far it is a very impressive unit. It even looks like a regular book sitting on your desk. This is a great inexpensive and fast way to make TI backups.

7. starsfan09

Newegg has the 250gb on sale all the time for $99 bucks. Can't beat that deal.

8. Atomic_Ed

Thats a really good price your right and newegg is a really good outfit to boot. Can't go wrong buying from them.

9. Ralphie

Yes I can, and did :D ... Office Depot, 160 gig WD, $49.99 before a $50 rebate. Final cost = tax on $49.99. :D

But, yes, himeros, I would bet 99.9% of the forum members backup to a hard drive, some over a network.

10. Atomic_Ed

Wow, $49.99 for that drive is purely fantastic. I usually never find deals that good. Still happy with my $89 WD 160 though. Makes you wonder how they make anything off selling drives that cheap.

11. starsfan09

Was this an Internal HD? Or External? Sounds like the price of an Internal.
    I was really referring to External HD's. Should've specified that. :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  12. Ralphie

Yes internal, but I bought an enclosure for it separately ($23) ... and it is happy saving my TI images. :D

13. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

"There may be an alternative, Drive Backup 8. I've downloaded a 30 day trial version today and will give it a workout against it's own specifications."

Reading these recent forum ATI posts about buying extra external drives and the problems with dvd's, splicing etc etc doesn't encourage me as a prospective new ATI user. Don't want to spend hours sorting dvd's and parsing external drives then rushing to the forum to beg for help and share whoes. The software should reduce technical work not increase it.

Now I thought the support would be fast on this forum til I read Unimatrix's comments. These are the comments prior to a new release on a mature version 9?

I'm going to continue with the evaluation of Drive Back up 8 for now. You guys have convinced me to look at an alternative.

14. urie

urie Registered Member

I have tried Paragon Drive Backup 8 works well just over 4 mins to restore partition where as trueimage took 13 mins what happening trueimage is getting slower all the time. also trueimage restore frome dvd was well over 1hr, paragon 20 mins. these are rough times off the back of my head test was with trueimage 9. i really wish acronis could get things sorted i really prefer it to paragon it has a terrible interface where are acronis is user friendly.

15. kendor

kendor Registered Member

I've gone through several versions of TI and I swear by it. So do the persons I know personally who use it and who are much more IT-savvy than I am.

It's one of the most user-friendly and reliable programs I use, and the existence of so many knowledgeable enthusiasts is impressive and an invaluable resource when they are so willing to participate in this group and share their expertise. Acronis' participation is a big plus too. (I am generally more impressed by what users say about the practical use of software than what the professional reviewers have to say.)

All too often software providers will not even look at a technical question without payment upfront even if it relates to a bug in the software. Compare Scansoft's (now Nuance's) Omnipage scanning software user group. I bought version 12 but could not get it to work at all so I went to the users group only to find that numerous other users could also not get it to work. Scansoft did not participate and no solution was ever found as far as I know, and Scansoft closed down the user group - too much bad publicity - or it just became moribund for lack of support. I then went to the Abbyy FineReader users group - also a Russian product - and found a band of devotees similar to the participants in this users group. So I laid out the cost a second time on buying FineReader and I've never looked back.

Intuit is another software provider (Quickbooks) which treats users with disdain. But Microsoft have now entered the field of small business accounting so Intuit won't get away for long with what I encountered last night: only the latest versions of Quickbooks are being made compatible with IE7 so one had better upgrade to a compatible version or stay with IE6. This was the last straw for me and as soon as MS produces a VAT module I'll look at changing.

The list of features users would like to be added to Acronis is a great idea: Acronis gets to know what users want (and they seem responsive to users' wishes) and where else would one get a list of what a product cannot do? But if you find anything on the list that is critical to you, you will no doubt go for a competitive product that offers the feature (if there is one) or wait until it is added to Acronis.

Ken

16. starsfan09

I've tried Paragon Drive Backup 8.0 as well.
    1. This program creates all kinds of files, whereas, ..ATI creates just ONE compressed file.
    2. The Paragon Image was about 1.5gb bigger than the Acronis Image file.
    3. I couldn't get the Paragon "Recovery CD" to work. That was an issue on their forum at the time.
    4. ATI was much easier to work. The Paragon user face was like sorting through instructions on building a missle. Very confusing.

17. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi Atomic_Ed,

You may take a look at this: :D :D

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=151900

Sorry to write about Paragon in the Aronis forum...:p :p

I am using TrueImage 9 and is quite satisfied with it. But just to offer some more choices.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  18. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Was that a line you just stepped over ?

F.

19. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes, sorry about that, just made some editing...:p :oops: :D

20. starsfan09

21. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Coupons Anybody?

Hi Guys:

Anybody got any coupons or tricks to get discounts on Paragon Drive Copy 8?

Regards to all.

22. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As this thread long ago strayed from Acronis questions and\or support....We'll close it now. The other software discussion can continue in a appropriate forum other than Acronis.

Thanks,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.