Why Register?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Mullyman, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mullyman

Mullyman Registered Member

I was just wondering about registering...the reason i ask..i have notice in the past few weeks...there has been one Guest who has not register...but has posted a great number of times giving and seeking advice...whats the reason then for everyone else to register :cool:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, there are a few features that you get when you register that you don't as a Guest...

Guests can't edit their posts. Make a mistake and it's there forever.

Guests can't use the board IM feature to send messages to others and obviously can't received any since they don't have an account here.

Guest names are not reserved... Only you can post as Mullyman because you registered.

Guests can't upload attachments, only registered members can.

Guests don't have avatars, sigs and such.

Guests see the forum time (where this server is located) as the current time. Members can adjust the time offset in their profile so the time stamps here are relative to where they are located.

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Mullyman,

Registering comes with some advantages: being able to use the IM option, being able to upload files etc. As a bonus, on ocassion we have - and might do so again - have a contest, winners getting free software licenses.

Apart from that - we have opted for guest being able to post, thus no registration needed over here. Everyone is free in making his/hers own decision in this regard. Of course we do welcome everyone who registers; we do appreciate and cherish our members ;)

regards.

paul

4. Paul Wilders

...as ever, LWM beat me to it :rolleyes: :D

regards.

paul

5. Mullyman

Thanks very much Paul and LWM...for your well informative answers and quick responce...i was only curious as to why someone would not register after being here for awhile..they obviously like the forum or they wouldn"t keep coming back ;)...that is just my observation..once again thanks...keep up the good work.

6. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Is there a limit on how many times a guest can visit or post here?
    No matter. If a member is complaining about guests. Then its time for this guest to find the way out.
    Thank you admistrators and moderators.
    In the future should I return it will be to read only. As in the past.

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Of course there is no limit to how many posts a guest makes, and Paul even said people are free to participate in either form here.

People will ask these types of questions from time to time, and we would be remiss if we didn't answer them.

I'm sorry if somehow you think this question and our answers means you shouldn't post here. I don't exactly understand your reasoning on this, but you are and will remain welcome either way.

8. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Shunned,
    I saw no mention or inference in Mullymans' Post with regard to a complaint about you, nor was there any suggestion of complaint with regard to your Posts.

As far as I can see, it was a plain and simple question as to the difference between the advantages of being a Registered member compared to that of a Guest, I saw nothing to give you reason to think otherwise.

Long may you Post here.

Best Regards, Cochise, :cool:

9. Mullyman

In no way did i intend to offend anyone..i was just asking a simple question...and to which i received an intelligent and informative answer and thats all i was looking for, i always assumed a guest in a forum was just that,then they had to register...now it was explained to me...now i know :cool:

Shunned:..don"t take it personal...i have read some of your posts and you offer helpful advice...we only learn how something works if we ask...i noticed you had to ask a question to(Is there a limit on how many times a guest can visit or post here?) and thats all i did :cool:...come on now don"t take your screen name so seriously :D ;)

10. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Shunned - Look, "registering" does not involve having your real, full, name/address/email addy and phone # visibly attached to every post you make or anything - it's (in addition to everything else that's been mentioned) simply a way for people to be able to "rely" on you being you (and any information you either ask for or post).

See this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=25819;start=msg150196#msg150196 . Pete

11. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Maybe this can help ;)
    To shunned...

Its been somedays now,
    We have been seeing you
    and till now what I understood
    people like you are few

Do NOT go like this
    you are always welcome here
    you do have lotsa knowledge
    and we want to have a share

Mullyman did not intend
    by anyway to make you hurt
    It was just some enquiries
    that he wanted to clear from his part

Shunned you already know me
    and also know others too
    Why are you thinking you are unwanted
    I am NOT having any clue :(

your nice and polite posts
    and in times informative ones
    Truly, whenever I see your post
    I always give a glance

All said and done
    a request from one of your fan
    Please do NOT leave Wilders
    Guest or registered.. we need you man

:-* :-* :-* :-*

12. Paul Wilders

Not at all ;)

As others correctly pointed out: no one is complaining. In case you do feel the need - for whatever unknown - reason to find your way out: so it'll be.

You're welcome. This is an open, relaxed and free board; in case anyone prefers lurking, that's just OK. In case members and/or lurkers prefer to participate in a positive way: even the better. We do welcome all in this respect.

regards.

paul

13. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Have the deepest respect for all those that replied......thank you.
    Mullyman I was not offended by your post.
    The word "guest" naturally applies to me as well. An I did not come here to offend any member....if it appears to any member here that a guest has over-stayed their welcome then its only respectful to the entire forum for the guest to peacefully leave. Thats how I see it.

LWM.., yes, your point well taken. I've no complaint in any regards.....not about the forum...administrators...moderators..or members. My willingness
    as a guest to leave if a member complains is a gesture of respect. Why wait for a problem to occur or a flame...not implieing that it would happen in this case. Just being both cautuous and respectful

Spy1.....Pete, I would be the first to encourage a person to register. Can see no problem in doing so. In my case I am just passing through...which has been stated in several of my posts....its pointless for me to register if I am not going to be here.....that and that alone is why I don't register.

Sub.....it was by your invitation that I continued posting. All I am doing is rebuilding a few old computers and testing them on the internet......here is a safe place for testing....that was the logic of my being here.

Hope this clears the air. Keep in mind please that no explanation would have been given had there not been a real respect for each poster...and the forum.
    Will I continue posting....no, frankly I am feeling nervous about doing so now. You tryed to put that nervousness to-rest an thats appreciated......the issue is with me....having seen many flames and rants begin just over such a question I prefer to leave the subject alone and keep peace.

14. Paul Wilders

Shunned,

No problem at all ;) Just lurk around as much as you please. We do have countless lurkers a day over here, and they are most welcome - no need to post or register.

This thread has done its job - thanks for all who contributed. Since all has been said: thread closed.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.