Why popular antivirus apps 'do not work'

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by webster, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webster

webster Registered Member

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Absolute and utter Tosh.........that being the case......8 out of 10 here at Wilders, or anywhere else for that matter, according to that scaremongering, are infected with Malware etc.,............will those eighty percent please raise their hands..........:D :D :D...

Where do these 'Walters' in OZ get their statistics from?.....my suggestion would be to lay off the 'Four X' and 'undercooked' chicken for a while, then those little green Kangaroos with eight legs that they have to keep brushing away from in front of their faces may go away.................eventually....o_O

Cochise, Kangarooing in Canberra....

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I guess this means that most corporate enterprise systems are in big trouble since they tend to install the better known software on their servers. My company has been hit with viruses and trojans many times over the years. They use Norton AV (before it was McAfee) on all of the systems. The security office tends to be in a knee jerk position most of the time and react when a virus hits as opposed to trying to find which product is better. Since commonality is a mandate for the organization IT assets, then I guess eveyone is stuck with whatever the bigwigs decide to use.

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Just curious... isn't this topic more appropriate in the Antivirus forum? :isay:

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Better? :ninja:

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

no, not really. :D :D

7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

today when about 1000 new malwares appear daily you should have an antivirus with strong heuristics and/or behaviour blockers. For this NOD32, Avira and other not so popular AV are better. :D

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

still looking great for antivir.

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Re: Why popular antivirus apps DO work

On any given day one product can be ahead of another it means nothing.

See PC World latest test results. Bitdefender 9 scored 56% detection with 1 month old signatures versus 11% for AntiVir PE version 6.32. With 2 month signatures it was 38% to 6%. Consumers reports ranked Bitdefender # 1 in the September edition. It updates almost every 2 hours. So it's changed already as I write this!

I will go with the product that has the best ranking over a longer period.

AntiVir may well be the best free product.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

antivir is the best atm its beta suite is really stable.
    the bitdefender and kaspersky are buggy atm aka they needed more beta testing before but they wanted to get em out big mistake. avira is doing enough testing to correct em sure i would like them to realse it right now but im glad they are fixing the bugs first

11. Escalader

Re: Why popular antivirus apps DO work.

:rolleyes: Buggy? Bitdefender 9 Standard ? I have not experienced any bugs. It's been out for years. What rush to relaese?

If you are referring to a suites then we are talking past each other.

I have no use for suites in the field of Secuity. Pick the "best" and build your own suite. Otherwise, one ends up with 1 vendor supplying all your tools!

Unwise

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with the articles, they are pretty much on-par with the retrospective tests from http://www.av-comparatives.org/ (the articles site new malware bypassing the most popular AVs). People around here may not see as much malware on their own systems as talked about in the articles, but when you've got hundreds, or even thousands, of non-geek users on a network you are responsible for, and that are not security conscious but like to download screensavers and such, these kind of problems become a bigger deal. Of course this is also why so many people no longer depend on an antivirus alone for all their security :)

13. Escalader

I think I agree with you NoTok. What articles are you referring to the ones I gave in my earlier reply?

For malware, you need addtional protection tools.
    1) Hardware Firewall
    2) Software firewall
    3) Good industrial stength Antispyware detection and disinfection tools
    4) 1 additional antispware and antivirus you run from time to time as backup to your AV and AS.

Escalader:)

14. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

All that "buggy" small talk is really weary.

To me it's okay to label software as being "buggy", but only under one condition: please name these "bugs".

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Knowing a number of IT guys from a number of companies, the sheer incompetence of people and software involved does not come as a surprise. Anyone who tells you Symantec anti-virus is their choice ... well need I say more?
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.