Why Pick Other Firewalls Over Comodo Personal Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Well, I don't know what to say about that. I presume you are using ver 2.3.4.45? I'm still a rookie with this fw, using it since only yesterday morning. The rules are stored in the registry, so I wonder if you might have some sort of registry protection app that is not allowing rules to be written to it? It is only a theory. Do you know of anyone else encountering this problem?

Also, what is your "Alert frequency level" set at under: Security->Advanced->Miscellaneous->Configure ?

2. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I'm using the latest verion of CPF.
    My Alert fequency level is set to Low which I guess is the default setting?
    I now have moved it up one level to medium.
    I uninstalled and did a clean reinstall, making sure to clear the registry of any remaining parts of CPF
    I think this may have done the trick because when I logged back on the rules I created were still there.

3. cprtech

That's good news :) Hopefully the rules stay put for you. I wonder if the low Alert frequency level is the cause of rules not being saved, because it is displaying only one alert per application?

4. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

cprtech, my PC is a wireless desktop, and my son is hard wired into the router, but we don't share files that i know of. So I guess just leave the Application Access Denied as is right? And thanks so far for your help, I appreciate it. I did look up NetBIOS on the internet, and with your help understand it better now.

5. cprtech

No problems helping out where and when I can. You can safely disable NetBIOS as shown here: http://www.petri.co.il/disable_netbios_in_w2k_xp_2003.htm

It is a good idea if you don't need it, as it takes away one avenue of attack by some malware.

6. duke1959

cprtech thanks I got it. Being on a wireless DeskTop, I imagine my DHCP Server is the Router so I don't have to change anything there correct?

7. duke1959

Whoops somehow I doubled up on that last post. So I'll edit this one to say thanks again

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  8. cprtech

Yes, that is correct. It will probably be something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or similar, depending on the router make/model.

9. duke1959

All right then cprtech, I will give you a shout if i need anymore help if that's ok. Also isn't there a new vesrsion of CPF coming out today with fixes that some people need?

10. cprtech

Just checked the forum and it is delayed 'til Sept. 7

11. duke1959

Yeah I just read that in their forums where I saw your user name as well. My CPF is working fine except when I log completely off one account and then go to mine which is already logged on, I see the Security Center Icon in System Tray and very briefly see an alert before it goes away. I'm certain it is telling me my Firewall isn't there, but it goes away so fast I can't say for sure. Is this anything that you have heard about? Maybe the new version will fix it? Take care.

12. cprtech

Not sure what that is. I believe the latest version addresses fast user switching (FUS) but I don't use it so I don't know.

13. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

Uggh, what a terrible idea. Why couldn't they have done something more sensible, like the put the firewall rules in a special config file? They could even encrypt it for better security.

I was hoping to use Comodo, but this "feature" is a killer for me. I use software that protects the entire system partition from being modified (Shadow Surfer), so any new firewall rules will be deleted when I reboot.

Phil

14. cprtech

It is supposed to be on the "to-do" list for Comodo. Currently, however, it does protect its own registry keys. Please see ss.

Attached Files:

15. noodles12

noodles12 Registered Member

I just started using it and I'm having troubel directly connecting to another user using AIM. I have it to allow all udp/tcp packets for aim and all the ports but it still won't let me connect to other users. If i don't find out how to fix this i'd go back to kerio 2.1.5 because it does everything i need and is very Very light.

16. duke1959

I just uninstalled the last version of Comodo Firewall and I have to say the old quickness in my PC when I switch from one account to the other is back. Hopefully when I install the new release that is coming out on Friday this won't be the case. I hate to admit this since Comodo passes all the leak tests and I absolutely love the Firewall, but ZA Free which only passes 2 LT didn't slow down my PC in this nature. I understand the extra protection provided by Comodo is great, and the memory wasn't that high on my PC (10-15MB in Task Manager) However I liked the speed I had on my PC with ZA Free and the AOL AVS that I still use. I know there is no comparison between the two, and ZA has had it's share of problems, but ProcessGuard Free, ZA Free, and either AVS or Antivir may be a better alternative for the quickness and protection I'm looking for. Not giving up on Comodo, I know it will keep improving. I'm just thinking about this set up for the time being. Friday may well make me forget all about doing this though I hope.

17. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You can disable some extra protection to gain performance (Aplication & Component Monitor).

18. cprtech

Always check the logs when you encounter connection issues like this. There may be some sort of Network or Application Policy error. This will invariably give you the reason for the issue and what needs to be done to fix it. these types of connection problems can occur if there isn't the necessary parameters already in place in the Network Monitor list. But do check the logs and look for Medium-High severity level entries.

19. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I noticed the speed improvement when I went back to Kerio. I run other apps and although Kerio 2 is not the best, with the other layers I seems to prevent most leak tests and blocking IE deals with the rest.

20. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

When "Enable Alerts" is disabled (unchecked), it will also speed up PC a little (noticable).
    Comodo will not ask, it will just allow everything according to the rules and block the rest.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

As I know saving the config file will be available soon.

22. Melih-Comodo

Melih-Comodo Former Poster

latest version of CPF is designed to be much (MUCH) faster than the last version. hopefully you will notice and like the difference.

thanks
    melih

23. speedlever

speedlever Registered Member

I find myself wondering what hardware those of you have with the speed issues. And how are you determining that Comodo is causing the loss of speed?

I run Comodo on a middle of the road laptop with a 1.6 GHz Pentium M CPU and 1 Gig of ram. I haven't noticed any speed issues with normal browsing and email activities. At least, I've seen nothing to raise a question in my mind about speed issues.

Also, I don't find Comodo particularly light on the resources. I've installed it on 3 different computers and find it typically runs in the 60,000+k range for virtual memory usage.

24. Melih-Comodo

Melih-Comodo Former Poster

hmm. strange..
    can you pls try the latest version. The mem usage should be less than 25meg.

thanks
    Melih

25. speedlever

speedlever Registered Member

I just d/l this week. Using version 2.3.4.45. Is there a later version than this? Updater says it's the latest.

Remember that the number I posted is the virtual size as reported by process explorer.

See the attached image.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.