Why Pick Other Firewalls Over Comodo Personal Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trojan

trojan Registered Member

from what i remember sygate and kerio preform very poorly on leak tests, did anything change? sygate also droped all outbound protection for proxys as 127.0.0.1 was auto allowed has this changed?

i see no real reasons from these posts for not using comodo , other than lazyness and a stubboness to stick with previous software ie ( my rules are already made for look n stop lol ) why would anyone use a firewall that leaks more than 1 that doesnt, for the sake of a few mb of ram , makes no sense to me :D

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Jeez Sygate has never failed any leaktest I've put it through. o_O

3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Yes you do need terminal services running and the second link was just an image of the fast user switching problem you may have.

comodo is deffinitely lighter as lns uses around 70kb and my comodo uses about 20kb

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    Well... I am considering giving these a try. If I do I will likely dump my free ISP McAfee AV and Firewall for the AOL/KAV 12 month free AV and new Comodo Personal Firewall, however I will need internet connection sharing to work without lots of headache. I do have trouble with this.

Any thoughts on this combo. or generally is this a poor move in ones opinion? :doubt:

(This would be for the Family Machine)

5. Coolio10

Well comodo is suppose to automatically configure itself at installation with a choice of automatic and manual as it found my internet connection straight away and im on a wired router with 2 computers but i have no idea about Aol AVS because i sent off the request and didnt bother to try it as i was scared it would brake my computer. Its KAV but with AVG style so a basic avg with better interface and better definitions and detection. Some people say it brakes computer and some say it slows down but some also say its best free av so far so its in your hands unless someone reccomends.

Check this site for some reviews http://www.download.com/AOL-Active-Virus-Shield/3640-2239_4-10568703.html?tag=tab_ur

Attached Files:

6. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Anything that is no longer supported is outdated and outdated security products are always a no-no. Vulnerbilities get found by hackers and can be exploited easily since its not going to be fixed at all. Security Bulleteins do not publish vulnerbilities for unsupported products since technically people should not be using unsupported products. These vulnerbilities can be exploited for a very long time by hackers and probably the only way you could know is delve into Internet's Underground.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes i am lazy but LnS does pretty good against leaktest
    ...i removed terminal services using nlite...
    which processes are u comparing? ive uninstalled comodo but it certainly wasnt as light as LnS.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This comment almost has an air of arrogance about it. The implication is Comodo is the only show in town, and if everyone doesn't uses it then one is at best stubborn. I am afraid I don't buy that.

I use Ghostwall, and right now am quite happy with it. It doesn't provide any outbound protection, so obviously I am nuts. Of course Appdefend, and SSM provide excellent network access control, but still I guess I am stubborn.

Frankly this whole thread had the same air about it. I have no beef with Comodo, it's probably fine, but there are also other good firewalls. Different strokes for different folks.

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Comodo passes all leak tests as well. ;)
    I read on forum, that it should be fixed via update in one week, we will see.
    LnS seems to be lighter, Comodo's 2 processes takes about 10-22 MB on my PC.
    This thread just want to point out at a good freeware firewall, to let people know about it.
    There are so many freeware, it is not possible to try out all, so threads like this helps a bit.

Some people use outdated firewalls, which are so vulnerable and they even do not know about it, because if the software is abandoned, security pages like Secunia do not pay attention to it. Eg if someone uses Outpost 1.0 Free, it is like he has no firewall, because there is more than 2 years old bug, thanks to which a hacker can access user's system with administrator rights.

10. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I think those comments are a bit harsh. We understand that some do get a bit over enthuastic, to the border of fanatism almost, such comments wont get new followers. Personally I do get a bit suspicious when the hardcore fans start preaching too much and aggressive.

I do use comodo and I like the feel of it (easy to setup), and thats why I use it. Others who do use other firewalls do it because they like them. It is easy as that. No rocket science. So what if a firewall protects against some leaktests and some dont? How often are the consept behind leaktests actually used in real malware?

btw Comodo does not protect everyone out of the box as claimed. On my machine comodo fails their own leaktest (cpil.exe) this problem is solved. My fault not comodo.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I understand that feeling, I have the problem to control myself fanatizing others.
    It is just so unbelievable, that such a great firewall, better than some paid, is free.

12. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Good post.

I just started using Comodo myself on another PC that had Kerio 2.1.5, I still use OutPost Pro on my main PC.
    I still like K 2.1.5 but I'm using Comodo to see if I like it or not, definitely not in love with the program though or any app for that matter.
    I use Comodo because it is my choice just like whatever firewall a person chooses to use its their choice and should be respected but this Comodo "lovefest" is a little crazy, a good firewall, yes, but lets leave it at that.

13. Coolio10

Oops i apologize i was looking at virtual size the end bar in your process explorer because i havent used it since i broke my computer 2 months ago.
    Youve won your fight :D

14. Coolio10

Yes your right i did go a bit crazy starting this but cant stop it unless i delete all my posts?
    I apologize to everyone for starting this topic because i was crazy at the time and would stop it if i could. I Should of put something less crazier like "What Not To Like About Comodo PF?"

15. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Yeah, but hey....look at it this way: at least you got over 30 responses in one thread here. I've probably gotten that many in the last dozen or so threads I've started combined, if I'm lucky. (JK) :p And besides, some threads go completely ignored....and I should know, because I've been the thread starter in a few of them :D :p ;)

Nothing wrong with spreading the word regarding a good, freeware product - people do it here all the time. And besides, there are several "fanboys" of products....so I wouldn't worry about it. I think that perhaps what may have rubbed a few people the wrong way was the wording that insinuated that Comodo is the only firewall worthy of consideration, that's all.....

16. Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude Registered Member

Heya guys, I'm switching from ZoneAlarm to Comodo firewall today. Anything I should know about it ?

17. trojan

trojan Registered Member

what leak tests have you tried ?, The last time i used sygate which was about 5 months ago it didnt even stop the memory process injection used by the trojan bifrost or the remote tool/trojan poison ivy, sygate was always known as leaky as far as im concerned, it does not stand upto comodo, any malware acting as a proxy can send info via the browser as loopback is trusted with sygate and outbound protection does not work unless this has changed and sygate has improved dramaticly in the last 4-5 months, sygate is a big no no

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  18. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

The thread title is an invite for discussion. I have no issues here. ;)

19. trojan

trojan Registered Member

I think your aol/kav comodo idea is a good move, im very happy with comodo sofar used it for the last few builds or so , The only real downside to the kav clone is the lack of the web scanner which i like , the kav proactive that the clone doesn't have i find far to noisy and prefer to use prevx or cyberhawk, but still the real time protection with the aol clone will still protect against web threats just maybe not as effeciently as with the webscanner module , i think this aol/kav + comodo is the best free antivirus and firewall combination you could have

20. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have just tried CPF 2.3.4.5 and initially was reasonably pleased with it. It now passed leaktests that in the past it had not on my machine.

I have now uninstalled it as it will not load correctly from a cold boot and I cannot connect it to my LAN, so I am back to my favourite Kerio 2.1.5, not perfect I know, but with a layered defence and blocked IE still does quite well.

edit
    I meant to add that also Kerio remembers my responses with giving me endless pop ups.

21. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I have just this moment installed 2.3 latest from their website.

When i first tried Comodo a few of months back I initially loved the features it offered. Which are better than most retail Firewalls.

But on using 2.1, 2.2 and then 2.3 beta. One thing has been unfortionantly consistant throughout. And this is the constant repeat asking for internet access permission for things you have already repeatedly given perminant permission to.

It gets *very* annoying after a while.

Hope this version has fixed this. But if it was occuring in this versions beta. I am somewhat pessimistic that it will now be fixed.

Hoping though

Thanks
    Anthony

22. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Do you mean with or without endless popups?
    I'm just wondering because I think that would be annoying to have endless popups come from a program such as a firewall.

23. Coolio10

Remember if your having any problems you could always just visit the forums which is very fun and friendly. The moderators are made up of mostly comodo lovers so their on a lot. :thumb: http://forums.comodo.com/

Oh forgot to say this to above post it would annoy! Id probably reccomend it to beginners if it had an alert control like comodo

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  24. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Well, maybe I will try it later when I have more free time then, but if I basically have to put an entire lan range as a trusted range then the ICS in this program is useless.

25. Coolio10

Well that error was fixed since the latest build of 2.2 but 2.3 is extremely nicer :thumb:
    I had that problem in 2.2 because firefox kept coming up with a warning from cpf and there was no remember box but thats because my component monitor was on learning as it is set to default. But for me component monitor in learning mode works fine now in 2.3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.