Why Pay for AV When It’s Free? (Article)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rasheed187, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Well the writer posted a link to NSSLAb's test that tested how good AVs are against exploits. IMO exploits are not used in most of infections happening right now. So that test does not show how effective AVs really are.
    He also questions why companies are not using free AV. Well because there are no free AV that can be used by companies and organisations (except MSE if I'm not mistaken).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  3. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

After reading his article, the real question should be, "Why pay William Taylor?"

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Free is ok but with more and more venders killing them with ads it nuts

5. guest

guest Guest

Then the question will breach to: Why using an AV if there are alternative ways? :D

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

simple i dont want to be nagged with ads. and i prefer to actually support the av companies so they can stay in business and continue to do research to provide the best protection. personally i feel the free versions should be stripped down versions and should not offer everything the paid ones do. if every person went ahead and used the free version many av companies would end up out of business. many people dislike me for saying that because they dont want to have to pay for anything. but doesnt bother me. i think free should have less and get less updates etc...

7. anon

anon Registered Member

Witttr CEO Avira
    the market is moving to free and license sales becomes more and more difficult

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I agree completely.

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Me too :thumb: (that goes for any other software as well not only AV's.)

10. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

I agree, however...I have some sort of an issue with using software that has "free" in the name. It makes me feel obligated to buy it.

I also choose to support the companies so they can improve their products. I've currently got paid copies of Kaspersky, Norton, Avira, Webroot, Eset, Malwarebytes, AppGuard, HitmanPro...

11. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I also agree on what zfactor said.
    AV companies need to sell something to stay alive and improve their products.

12. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Support the Men and Woman and Companies That Provide us All with Protection. Pay! Too Support the Business and Improve The Lives of The Countries Of Origin... and to Keep the Positive Aspects Of the Free Market System Alive and Well! Long May Everyone Prosper! Sincerely...Securon

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I buy mine boxed physical from eBay not the serial only. I saved this time 95%.

14. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

He's comparing bottle water and peas to software with varying authors and thousands of lines of code.

15. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Companies pay for free AVs, people who use them are just beta testers, they help to build the signature database, so the more users the better.
    I use only freeware in my PC, if I would be offered a lifetime licence for any product, I would refuse, because that would not be using freeware only.

16. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

what's the problem with a few ads ?
    it's a very small price for a free program
    what's so nagging about a couple of pop-ups ?
    or a message in the UI ?
    are you all Prima donnas ?

I hear so many times this stupid complain
    I started to puke

17. chillstream

chillstream Registered Member

"An entire aisle dedicated to water, something we get for free when we turn on our faucets."
    WTF? Does this man not get a water bill? Or does someone else pay his utilities so that he actually thinks that tap water is free?

18. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Is`nt Clam av available to commercial enterprises as well but then again who would want that never mind MSE to protect your critical data ?

So as hqssec stated there is`nt much available free to companies so obviously they`re going to pay for a decent security suite.

Yeah people should stop moaning about nag screens,the sheer hell they go through, my heart bleeds. Personally I like them as after all it`s free graphics

Regards Eck:)

19. NWOAbschaum

NWOAbschaum Registered Member

First World problems. i cant understand it too. Its free, so why ppls still blaming on Ads even if u can click them away in 1 sec.

20. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

On already crippled protection, I'd have problems with it. make it optional.
    -cripple: optional on/off ads
    -full/maximum protection: ads mandatory [hell, I'd even consider a toolbar for free premium]. I'd even give my processor time for their research computing if it would benefit them, or even internet connection for database/sigs distribution if it was a fair deal.

21. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Anything is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Too many people want something for nothing. Those same people are probably very unlikely to be willing to work for free themselves. I pay for what I use to support the vendor(s). The fact that nothing is 100% effective does not mean that it is worthless.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

free is good but paid is better. So for those who really want the best protection with added features, paid will always be a better option.

23. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

I'm going to pitch in here and say that paid AVs typically include a filtering proxy, which (in my experience) tends to be a lot more effective than the realtime AV engine itself.

(But I'm not overly fond of the whole third-party, subscription-blacklist-based, security-as-a-financial-privilege model, and as usual YMMV.)

24. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Paid or free anyways AV devs must get their bread and butter.

25. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

see i do not think they should allow a free user to turn off ads. sorry again i know some people dislike me for saying that but there should be some "price" to a free av. if the ads are all you have to put up with than i really dont see a issue.

i 100% agree with jones, i HATE the lic'ing of some companies. but those i just simply refuse to use. problem solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.