why only ess?when nod32 av3.0 available?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by loong, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loong

loong Registered Member

i don't want to try the firewall of eset.
    when can i get nod32 av 3.0,please?

2. loong

loong Registered Member

sorry,maybe my thread should be moved to another forum,nod32av forum.

3. Elite

Elite Registered Member

Yeah I was a little misguided as to what ESS was really going to be.

After trying out Beta 1 (and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), it appears ESS is essentially NOD32 Antivirus 2.7 + Firewall + Antispam + new GUI and some other minor tweaks as mentioned in the stickied ESS thread.

I was under the impression that ESS was going to replace NOD32 2.7.
    Even if it didn't replace NOD32 2.7, I still thought ESS would feature a new antivirus engine. I figured ESS would feature the NOD32 3.0 antivirus engine in addition to a firewall, antispam, and a new GUI. I also thought we'd maybe see a stand-alone NOD32 3.0 a few months after ESS's release, for those who want the new 3.0 engine and a new GUI, but don't want a firewall or antispam. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case. I think ESS is going to be an amazing product and all. I really do. But I do think some engine improvements should be made to ESS and NOD32 2.7 for the time being, as it appears there is no NOD32 3.0 on the way.

I'm aware that the NOD32 2.7 engine is a good engine. It's actually the fastest engine I've ever tested on my current rig (averaging a 7 minute scan!). I know the current engine also has some really uber heuristics; probably the best in the industry. It's got amazing detection rates too. However, I'd really like to see the method of scanning improved. NOD32 is currently unable to detect ACTIVE kernel mode rootkits, like Rustock. Anti-stealth, which was introduced in 2.7, is only capable of detecting weaker user mode rootkits like HxDef. A few other vendors are showcasing beta security suites at the moment which utilize raw disk scanning or DKOM, allowing them to detect very evasive kernel mode rootkits like Rustock or Unreal.A. I'd really like to see ESS and NOD32 detecting these as well. It's probably the only thing I can think of that could really use improvement in the 2.7 engine.

I don't know the internals of the NOD32 engine, so I really have no idea how long something like this would take to implement (2 weeks? 6 months?, a medium sized engine update? a complete engine re-write?)

Any feedback from the Eset team would be appreciated on the subject of a NOD32 3.0 engine (if Eset currently has one in dev, or planned for development), or any information on the possibility of updating the scanning method.

4. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Supposedly, it contains the next version. It says so on the form to download it.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

That's what it says here.

http://www.eset.com/beta/

6. MNKid

MNKid Registered Member

Hi,

Is it even a sure thing that there will actually be a NOD32 3.0?

Perhaps Smart Security is meant to replace it.

If they let current NOD32 users upgrade to the suite for free, I wouldn't mind :D

I am using my current user/pass with the Smart Security beta and am having no issues with updating.

MNKid

7. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I would probably guess it would be like Kaspersky IS. KAV is the same thing except missing modules from the suite. ESET could easily do the same thing from how the interface is organized.

8. Elite

Elite Registered Member

BLAH! Can't believe I missed that. I downloaded the ESS English Beta from the very early link that someone posted in one of the large threads in this forum. Never saw the offical Eset.com Beta page.

Anyhow, how about some improved rootkit detection? There's my request for ESS to the developers.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It is customary for companies to only release the best version of their products during the beta program. This allows for better testing of all the features and hence speeds up the process of releasing a fixed and final version. Many companies do this, and I do not think anyone should blame it on Eset for this.

As for AV engine, most of the changes are under-the-hood. I think certain features have been disabled in the AV engine pending additional testing, or may be feature incomplete. In future, I suspect users will get to see massive improvements in the heuristic engine, and some better spyware cleaning algorithms along with generic cleaning technology, i.e. methods to clean infections even if it is a heuristic detection and not a signature based one. :)

EDIT: I just had to add this, the release of this beta brought something to my mind. A younger, happier and less stressed version of myself made a joking post more than a year ago about this, I hope you enjoy it :D

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=687147&postcount=25

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.