Why Only 3 Cows at Tucows?

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Snook, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snook

Snook Registered Member

Why only 3 cows at Tucows for WormGuard?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Almost all of the web sites rate these programs different. Just like AV testing no two sites fully agree on the results, and anti worm progs are the same. If the prog works well for you you should take their rating with a grain of salt. ;)

3. Snook

Snook Registered Member

I see. I just purchased it but won't get the registration code for awhile since it's still Saturday and all the shutters are pulled down until Monday.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I know how that is, everyone goes home except those of us that want it now

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Here in Europe many countries have this Monday as a national holidy but as far as I know only Northern Territories celebrate May day in Australia - DCS are based in Perth, Western Australia, so they get to Monday qicker than most of us :) Hopefully you will not have long to wait.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

It's a tippical cow's case

Attached Files:

7. Snook

Snook Registered Member

WormGuard registration received! All systems go!

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Go go go! congratulations! and watch out with those cows tipping these days!

9. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I always thought that Tucows only ever gave two cows to anything :D

10. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hello Jooske..........what holiday would that be and i hope your enjoying it :D
    Over here it's back to the old grind :p

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Maybe people celebrate 1 May then? overhere was no holiday, 4 May we think of WWII and 5 May we celebrate our freedom with once each 5 years as a free holiday on that (should be yearly in my opinion, but ok).
    As long as WormGuard one cows, two cows, three cown, five cows, runs and does it's work it's all right!

12. Snook

Snook Registered Member

I rate it "five diamonds" at TuDiamonds...!

13. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

The TUCOWS rating system is, just in my personal opinion, too general - it's fine for your 'average application', but more advanced (and likewise, very simple) programs are harder to rate, especially programs targeted towards advanced users as their rating system generally gives higher marks for systems that are easy for everybody to use. The problem is that it's based on a points system where various points are awarded depending on program actions, interface, behaviour, ease-of-use and so on, but not all of these points can be applied to all programs, so many 2/3/4-star programs are actually as good as they could possibly be, yet because some of the rating points don't apply to them they get a lower score.

As just one example, if the program immediately displays its helpfile the first time it launches, the TUCOWS system awards one point. Port Explorer was initially rated 4 stars, but was just 1 point short of 5 stars, so we simply made it display the helpfile the first time it launches, and then Port Explorer was awarded 5 stars. This is why I prefer proper reviews (which can be applied effectively to any program) rather than points-based systems which can only be applied effectively to the average program. As a good example, here's a review by Roger A. Grimes (author of "Malicious Mobile Code: Virus Protection for Windows") which analysed each program on its individual merits.

*shrug* ... :)

14. Snook

Snook Registered Member

Thanks for clarifiying that. Personally, I don't want the help file thrown in my face the first time I launch a program. Stability, effectivness and support should be key in ratings. Anyway, very happy with WormGuard.

15. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Like many others first rule throw away the manual till you need it? :cool:
    As long as i can easily find it back it's no real problem in software i guess.
    The DiamondCS helpfiles in general are very readable, educative, almost entertaining.
    Good luck with WormGuard! life saving program!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.