Why no offline updates ?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ctrl, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctrl

ctrl Registered Member

Hi,

Why doesn't eset provide any offline updates for its users ? I know someone will come and reply that we don't support offline updates etc. but may I know the reason that made you guys from eset take that decision of not providing offline updates for its users. And I think almost every other AV provides offline updates download.

Thanks.

2. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

I've seen that question being asked so many times in this forum. I suggest you to use the forum search function and you might get answers given to it.

But, if you don't like what you find after searching you may as well get some other program that offers offline updates instead.

My apoligies for being somewhat rude but I guess ESET may have had its good reasons for taking that decision.

Regards,

Carlos

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

See this KB for information about creating mirrorred update files.

4. ctrl

ctrl Registered Member

I may be wrong though, but isn't this article only for business edition. But how do i update a machine which is not connected to any network. For example my gaming rig is not connected to internet nor any network, but i often use removable media which contain viruses. how do i tackle this? providing offline updates through softpedia or other download sites is the only solution i see.

But anyway, i knew i wouldn't get a correct answer, every other thread asked about offline updats end up like this. I like your product but only the offline updates keeps me from using it and also recommending to others.

:(

5. Marcos

We plan to update installers on a more frequent basis so there will be an option, though not ideal, to reinstall the product to be almost up to date. Otherwise the only option is to switch to a different AV that provides offline updates on their websites.

6. ctrl

ctrl Registered Member

Very sad. You are telling users to move away from your product instead of finding a solution or workaround.

7. Marcos

A workaround is to download the latest installer and install it over the current version. However, installers are not updated on a regular basis, but in the near future we plan to update them more often. If this is not an option for you, you can still move to another AV.

8. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Since NOD32 can update from shares technically with a EAV/ESS BE license you can make a mirror with the client and put the mirror files on a removable media. Then use that removable media to connect to the 'offline' client. Point the update server configuration to the update folder on the removable media and it should update without problems.

Might be a bit expensive for 2 user license as BE editions are only sold from 5+ computers. But it is also a working work-around!

9. stanr

stanr Registered Member

I assume you use a different computer to connect to the Internet. Why not scan the removable media on that computer running an updated version of NOD32 before using it in your gaming computer?

Maybe I'm missing something here....Just a thought.

10. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

~Personal comments removed.~

To the original poster:

ESET will not release manual updates over a flash drive for a simple reason, to protect its licenses. Imagine this, if all people with unlicensed versions are just using manual updates, then ESET will no longer have people purchase a license. People can simmply install the demo and just update manually or they might have a full version that has an expired license, but still can manually update.

~Off topic comment removed.~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
  11. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

This thread has just been e-mailed to ESET (europe) and ESET (United Arab Emirates) with a complaint about the above ~Snip~ moderator. :thumbd:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
  12. ctrl

ctrl Registered Member

Thanks for clearing it up maximus.

13. jjavierv17

jjavierv17 Registered Member

Hi! I'm new here and I want any mod to send me, via private message, a link to the rules in this forum, please. NOW, 1-. it's a shame some of you are telling people to use another AV. In my case, I think I'm a kind of nod fan :). I've used nod since the 2.7. Now I'm using EAV4. I've recommended nod since I began to use it. I have to say I don't support the use of NODLOGGIN, and the other ones I don't want to mention. 2-. Why it doesn't have a and offline update? Well, what I read above is the truth. ESET must protect the licences. And I support that idea. However, there are some users who offer their files for you. With this, you can update your data base offline. I had never used those files till I began to have problems updating my EAV3. but I prefer to update via online. If you want, you can send me and private message and I'll provide you this link. But if moderators send me one saying not to do it, I won't. 3-. I won't change EAV or nod32 for other AV.

14. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

well dudes - ESET does not offer a solution - but there is one possible with
    a (your) valid license from third party. It even contains a server check.
    I dont post a link but i hope a moderator will do so as long ESET has no offer like that.

BTW im not sure - but the ERAS is working without a license for two clients.
    Unfortunately i dont know how to get it except the ESET support.
    ERAS can create offline updates for LAN.

(so it makes two options together afaik)

umm - third possibility - but manually
    save the em0xx_32.dat files (9 theses days) from you installation folder.
    i remember a mail of mine to support i asked that. but i am not sure if it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.