Why LnS?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by cthorpe, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I've been wondering why LnS is so highly regarded? I see many users who I have come to trust in my short time here (BlackSpear is the first name that jumps to mind) use this firewall. Right now I am using Jetico with NTWrappper starting it as a service. Besides that whole service vs not service issue with Jetico, which I have resolved, what would be the benefits of LnS?

Thank you,
    C

2. LokiLoki

LokiLoki Guest

For me, I use it because it's light and simple to use with the default rules.

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Light'n'Simple? ...that's cute (was that intentional?) ...in any case it fits! ;)

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8473/rofl1dj4.gif thats clever!

anyways in addition to being light and simple, i like looknstop because theres preset rules for the apps i use.

i can just import them and not bother with learning Firewall Rule Construction 101.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm an ex-ZoneAlarmFree-user and I needed a better firewall.
    I didn't like ZoneAlarm Pro, which is in fact a 2/3 security suite.

The "Application Filtering" of LnS looks like ZoneAlarm Free, which I do understand already.
    The "Internet Filtering" of LnS is new to me, so it allows me to learn something about "rules".
    So I consider LnS as a bridge to rule-based firewalls. If I never succeed in understanding "rules", I still have an understandable firewall with pre-defined rules for internet filtering.

I use LnS in combination with a DI-604 router, which has also an impressive log. Unfortunately I don't understand firewalls/routers very well and it will take alot of time and readings to understand them.

6. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

ditto + it's a very good firwall (which comes with pre-configured rulesets)

7. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi cthorpe :)

I see that eveybody have is own reasons to choose L'n'S... ;-)

1- As firewall L'n'S works well : it keep the PC stealth and have an almost perfect score with leak tests.

2-L'n'S is light: this firewall do not affect the performances of your PC and your internet connection.

3- As noted by other poeple you may use it with a preconfigured rules set
    but
    L'n'S is flexible and give you the possibility to create your own rules or your own rules set in a better way than any other Windows base firewall similar to the IP Tables in Unix based systems. For me that's the most important feature...

Also: L'n'S is a stateful firewall: this mean that the packets are not only inspected for themselves but also in relation to the others. L'n'S check if the packet is a part or not of an existing connection...

Just check the rule's editor and you'll see a lot of parameters: protocols, ports, address including M.A.C. address, UDP flags, TCP flags, Icmp types and codes, support many network adapter, and so on...

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.