Why isn't SpywareGuard fully uninstalling itself?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by essen, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. essen

essen Registered Member

So I performed uninstall according to Windows XP and I still have Spyware Guard files on my computer. Why is that? Isn't uninstall supposed to remove the program and its components from my computer?

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hello,

are there SWG processes still running after uninstall?

If not, my experience when uninstalling most any program, some files are left behind.

snowbound

3. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Hi ,
    I have been using Opera for over a year now, so as Spywareguard is mainly for IE I too wanted to uninstall it. Which I did following the usual procedure, however, the Browser helper object keeps re installing itself, I have deleted it using Spybot S+D, also another cleaner and actually been in the registry and done it manually. But still everytime I boot up it's there again. It is a nuisance. How can I get rid of this BHO for good? There are no other SWG processes running.

4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2

Thanks and regards Gordon

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  4. ghodgson

This is a real pain now. I have re-installed Sg 3 times now, then opened and disabled it (all 3 functions) and exited then uninstalled as per the correct procedure. Every time I re boot the BHO is back again. I have also tried the 'Hook' removal but the BHO is still coming back, I just cannot get rid of it.
    There are no other Sg progs running.
    Running XP sp 1.
    Anybody any ideas o_O?? please
    Gordon

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Couple of questions if you don't mind Gordon.

* Does this user have Admin rights ?

* What version of Spybot are you using ?

* Just to make sure, how did you use Spybot to delete this item ?

Bubba

6. ghodgson

Hi Bubba,
    Thanks for replying.
    Yes i have Admin rights. I have Spybot 1.4.
    I used the delete toggle in the BHO's section to get rid of it one time only. But it still came back. Since then reinstalled SG 3 times and followed the prescribed procedure for uninstalling, everything goes except the BHO.
    Regards Gordon .

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I can't remember if that version has it but if you right click the TeaTimer icon in the systray is their a Settings selection ?

If so and while in the Settings area, is their any Allow or Deny entries ?

Bubba

8. ghodgson

Hi Bubba,
    There is teatimer running and in the allowed entries (for deletion), you will see I have 2 problems, because I cannot get rid of rfagent either, which is a left over from the Registry first aid programme. However, the teatimer doesn't allow RFagent to run as you can see, but the BHO is still loading at every boot, regardless of what it says here.
    I can even 'lock' the registry entry for the BHO using the feature in 'System security suite' and on re boot I get a second version of it loading while the first one is still locked !
    Downright bizarre.

09/01/2008 20:51:08 Allowed value "rfagent" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
    09/01/2008 20:52:54 Allowed value "{4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2}" (new data: "") deleted in Browser Helper Object!

Regards Gordon

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

but there were no blocked entries ?

I still believe it is a Spybot issue and the way it takes a snapshot of the registry of items it is interested in. When you re-boot it is returning those registry entries to the settings found in the snapshot.

Assuming for a moment it is Spybot and not another registry monitoring program you have or had, We can procede in a few directions.

Since you are using an outdated version of Spybot you could consider un-installing that version(undo it's Immunization before uninstalling), re-boot, then re-install\un-install SpywareGuard to hopefully remove the BHO entry.

After that, you could then install Spybot's latest version.

Bubba

10. ghodgson

Thanks Bubba, I will do that. I didn't realise my spybot was not the newer version. I will get back to you after doing what you suggest, with the results.
    Many Thanks
    Gordon

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Good luck and one way or the other We'll hopefully figure it out.

Bubba

12. ghodgson

Hi Bubba, You were absolutely correct.......many thanks and that problem is now solved. I did as you said and both the SG BHO has gone and the Rfagent too. Great !!
    Unfotunately I have hit another problem now. I downloaded the new Spybot 1.5 and did a clean install without any problems. But when I updated the programme it immediately crashed-- instead of going back to the Spybot skin, it is a just a blank screen and CPU usage for Spybot is 98%. I uninstalled and re installed it and it runs fine until I update it then it crashes. I have to use task manager to close the programme and it won't open again from any shortcut- it just sucks up 98% CPUsage.
    Any known issues with updating the new Spybot that you know of.?
    Thanks and regards
    Gordon

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Good news and You are Welcome :thumb:

A few but since this is the Spywareblaster Support Forum, I'll kindly request that We deal with any Spybot issues in our other anti-malware software forum Please.

Regards,
    Bubba

14. ghodgson

Thanks again Bubba,
    Sorry and understood.
    Regards Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.