Why Isn't Avira on US Store Shelves?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hangetsu, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berng

berng Registered Member

I don't know why anyone would want a disk for an anti-virus program. The software is usually out of date within three months, with the virus signatures being out of date within a day.

Considering, you usually need online access to update the signatures, you may as well use the same access to get the latest and greatest program download.

Maybe Hawaii is different, but I have no problem finding CD's at $16 per hundred and DVD's at $31 per hundred. The media cost is insignificant compared to the prices of software.

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

In the old days I dreaded reinstalling because it meant pulling the box out from under my desk full of program CDs. I recently had to reinstall and the only disk I bought out was the Vista disk. Everything else (install programs, drivers, etc) was downloaded on the 2nd hard drive so no disk swapping for me anymore.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Of course, Hawaii is different. I don't get why everyone assumes Hawaii is like the Mainland. It is not. It costs a lot to ship stuff out here so availablity is limited and prices are much higher than on the Mainland. Thus, what people think is great may be so on the Mainland but not so in Hawaii. As I said, it difficult to find blank CD's here and what few there are cost a lot. Besides, what if your burner isn't working right? I would not replace it unless still under warranty. I can use the DVD drive to read but not write. Again...it is the cost and lack of availability that makes everything different here...and all the rain. I have to laugh at all those Mainlanders who got caught up in the real estate frenzy here a couple years ago. They hate it here now because La Nina is back. They did no research on weather patterns obviously.

4. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

1. I hardly think EVERYONE assumes that about HI. You need a Poll.

2. Well that is just you. My burner goes down it is replaced within the hour. If I lived in a merchandise poor location I would order two online and wait until they arrived along with a couple of hundred blank discs. Be it under warranty or not.

5. berng

berng Registered Member

Most of the media comes from Asia or some third world country. Why it costs so much more to ship it to Hawai than to the continental US is beyond me. If anything, the distance from Asia is less and so should be the shipping charge.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

all islands have a greater price, its just the way it is.

however, i dont think any US citizen can moan about prices, you should come here to the UK to see high prices. :doubt:

i good analysis would be to say UK is usually double the US price on most things.

we have to buy our gadgets from Hong Kong, our cigs from europen countries with low tax, our clothes from america, and even my antivirus from russia :D etc.

stupid i tell ya.

----
    if Avira try to challenge norton/mcafee for cd sales, they will lose, fact.
    OEM sales, or not at all.

personally, whenever a company tries to make cd sales, i think they are making too much money and i would want the 'online purchase' price to defiantly drop in comparison, as the cd sale price will already have to be competitive to complete with norton/mcafee on the shelves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.