Why is there a seemingly endless supply of NIB Norton Ghost 10s on ebay?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I just purchased one for $27. The shipping was $5 but the person emailed me, said he'd stick $2 in the box because shipping was only going to cost $3. Pretty Cool!

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Ratchet,

It seems IMHO that ever since Symantec bought Norton, that there products & services have become bloated while service has gone downhill fast. This may explain th many copies, for sale on ebay. Hopefully Ghost will be the perfect app for you.

Take Care
    Rico

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I have been reading this and other forums about backups and it does seem like there is no consensus on the best backup software. After searching and reading several non partial reviews, the thing that sold me on G 10 was the new interface that makes it pretty easy for idiots like me and the price was right.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used Acronis, Paragon and drive image along with Ghost and ghost is the only one that has worked perfectly every time I have used it where as Acronis and paragon aren't worth the money it takes to buy them. I have licenses for ATI and Paragon and have actually given them every chance to work through numerous tries to get them to work and they are just not reliable in my opinion. I have been a user of ghost for several versions and it just keeps working even after Norton Symantec purchased it.

5. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I liked Ghost for many years but the newer versions have become "Symantecized" and progressively worse.

I got Version 10 and lucky it was free after rebates.

One try at using it and then promptly removed it and relegated it to a shelf.

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I use Acronis & the first time I needed it (HDD fail) TI was horrible. So many errors, I would have been better off re-installing everything. But yet here, I hear many TI users, who have never had it fail. I even started a thread, what makes images fail. I can't believe that TI & Ghost are so different, that such polarized results can happen. Somehow its got to be the user doing something to make the image fail. IMHO TI does not spend enough time/effort , on restore side of the equation. TI should have a nice tutorial on all aspects of its product with emphasis on: make a boot disk, backing up, restoring etc. They market to average user, failed images should of special interest for them, to improve there product.

Take Care
    Rico

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have norton ghost 2003 version that is on my shelf that came free with my sister's laptop but the 2003 version only backups in dos and cant in windows but version 10 can backup in windows but i dont have that version.
    in fact im gonna check when i get home because when i was reading about norton ghost on the symantec site it says the 2003 version is included for 98 and ME users so my version might have version 10 in the box as well.
    @bigc, have you tryed shadow protect desktop?
    if you where im my situation where i havent got a windows cd what would you use norton ghost or ati?
    i store the images on my external harddrive and then if anything happerned i would use the restore cd to restore the image from the external usb drive.
    does norton ghost 10 make the images in windows or does it make them in dos only?
    i havent heard of any norton ghost horror stories but ive heard some bad stories and good stories with ati.
    which tells me even thou its now made by symantec its still reliable and good.
    i have used norton ghost at college and the images have always restored.
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Cause its a great piece of software thats why!!. I've used norton ghost for many years, i still use ghost 2003 to back up all my systems. Its always worked flawlessly for me, i consider this is due to the fact that it does not backup inside the windows environment.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have just checked and in the case of the norton intentersecuirty 2006 box that came with my sister's laptop it has keycodes for norton ghost 10 and a leaflet about norton ghost 10 and says on the leaflet wont work on 98 or ME so please use the 2003 version included on the disc.
    but the disc says ghost 2003 and not 10 wtf?
    since ive got a license code for norton ghost 10 can i download from there site? any links?
    lodore

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Everything that was done under norton in dos has always worked great. It's just when symantec windowizes it, it grows and groWS and GROWS. Also doesn't work as well.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

does the windows backing up and restoring in norton ghost 10 work well?
    lodore

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I have used Ghost in the past and zero problems but I don´t like the new versions. The freebies Partition Saving and DriveImage XML work smoothly here.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have emailed symantec since ive got a code for ghost 10 in the box that came with a laptop in the case with NIS2006 but they gave me the ghost 2003 disc but a ghost 10 code so im asking for a ghost 10 download link so i should be entitled to it
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.