Why is something simple so hard - backup DVD+R

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by PETE67, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PETE67

PETE67 Guest

Hi,

I would appreciate help/comments on the following.

I bought a new pc and the first thing I wanted to do was to create a clean backup of my pc. That way I can always roll my pc right back to day one. So I did a lot of reading about what software to use - True Image seemed to be a real favorite for backups. True Image says it can backup to DVDs - which is what I want to do. I download the software and install it. I go to create the image and I'm getting messages that I need UDF software. I don't know what that is - or why I need it. All I want to do is make a simple backup of 12GB, and it sounded like True Image could do it no problem. Well apparently it wont work and I have no idea what to do now.

So, then I decided to backup to CD-Rs - which doesnt have this UDF problem. I go throu about 1.5 hours and make 14 cd's. The I go to "Check Image" and find out that disk #12 says its corrupt. Throw that backup now.

Lastly I read the manual again and it says to download Nero InCd and this is UDF software. I go to Nero site - it says InCd is free. I download it and install it - and its saying "Invalid registration" and to call sales. Is it free only to Nero software owners ?

I cant believe this software is so recommended - I want a simple backup and I feel like I have to be a computer analyst to get this done. Now I have a new pc I am not using because I want a good backup first.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. ratcheer

ratcheer Registered Member

I am fairly a newbie (maybe two months experience) with True Image and I have been up the same learning curve you are starting.

Personally, I found the best solution (for me) was to add a new external FireWire hard drive to my system.

But I also have a registered copy of Nero and I copy my backup files to DVD+R using the standard burning software (after creating them on the external drive). I have also done the direct UDF backups to DVD+RW's, but to me, that is painfully slow.

Finally, you may not want to hear this, but you can buy a full copy of Nero Ultra for about $30 when you find it on sale online. Try looking at buy.com, newegg.com, or other similar sites.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Tim

3. roady

roady Registered Member

Divide your harddisk into 2(or more) partitions,and create the image on the non-system partition,then burn it with your preferred burning program.....TI can restore the image from that burned dvd,even if it not burned that dvd itself...

4. PETE67

PETE67 Guest

Thanks for the suggestions. I bought a copy of Nero Ultra 6.6.0.8 - and it should be here later this week.

After I install it - how do I go about making a disk usable for backups by TI? Do I have to format it or something ? Can you tell me how ?

Should I create a disk image on my hard drive and then just transfer it to dvd using Nero ? How do I do that ?

THANKS AGAIN,
    Pete

5. ratcheer

ratcheer Registered Member

Pete, if you got your license key for Nero, you don't have to wait for it to come in the mail. You can just download it from Nero web site

Tim

6. PETE67

PETE67 Registered Member

I don't have the license key - I guess it comes with the software. It was shipped friday - so hopefully by wednesday...

I tried something else to see if it would work. I created an image of my C: drive (which is 12GB) on my C:. The image was about 9GB. I broke it into 2000MB files. The image was created successfully - and verified successfully. I then used Sonic RecordNow to burn the 5 parts to 3 DVD+Rs. Files 1/2, files 3/4 and the 5th file on its own dvd.

I then went to verify it in TI - and it failed on the disk 3/4.

Should I have put each file on its own DVD ?

Pete

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello PETE67,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please note that you need to format DVD disk before burning image to it with Acronis True Image. Also you may create image on your hard disk dividing it into 2Gb parts (as it is recommended size for the sake of compatibility) and then burn to DVDs using your DVD burning software.

Please read the following article concerning imaging to DVDs:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#20

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. roady

roady Registered Member

Why? 2 GB is just an ISO 9660 restriction,but if you're on a win2000/XP computer, and have NTFS as filesystem,you can create images up to 4.37 GB and burn the dvd as UDF...
    I create images up to 4.25 GB,because some dvd's can have layer problems on their outer edge,and they are also easily smutged with fingerprints at that area...less readability
    So far,I could restore every image I made,on a multiboot system....no compatibility problems whatsoever.. :)

9. Acronis Support

Hello roady,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Yes, you are right. The restriction is recommnded by Acronis only for the sake of compatibility as I mentioned above. This concerns mainly ISO format however.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Pete,

Perhaps you'll find some useful advice in this previous thread titled <DVD Image corruption but OK on hard drive>. Note in particular the bit about burning at slow speed (if I burn at anything greater than x 2.4 there's a fair chance I'll end up with a corrupt image).

If your Nero Ultra comes without InCD just install the copy you downloaded earlier (but after you've installed Nero and entered the supplied serial key).

To UDF format a DVD+/-RW for the first time using InCD just right click on your DVD burner and select "InCD Format". In the Format window select "Format" (the "Quick format (erase file system)" selection is used to erase all previous data but keeps the UDF format). Before starting the format, select "Advanced" and ensure the file system is set to UDF 1.50 and that the "Remember that choice" tickbox is ticked. Do not select UDF 2.50 file system because, currently, it's not compatable with True Image.

If you want to subsequently remove the InCD UDF format so that the DVD can be used with Nero or other normal burning software, click on your DVD burner and select "InCD Erase".

Hope the above helps.

Regards

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  11. PETE67

PETE67 Registered Member

Thanks for all the responses.

In regards to "ACRONIS SUPPORT" message. If I am understanding you correctly I only need to format IF I am trying to create the image directly to DVD+R. Is that true ?

Here's what I would like to do - seems like best solution to me.
    Create the image on my hard drive in 2000MB files. The use my DVD writing software (Sonic RecordNow) to burn the 2000MB files onto a DVD. Its not doing it directly but I dont care - i just need a good image.

Questions:
    Can I put (2) 2000MB files on 1 DVD ? Or should I put only 1 per DVD?
    Do I need to format the DVD if I am using Sonic RecordNow to burn the files?

I already tried doing this. I created an image of my C: drive using 2000MB file sizes (I created the image on the hard drive). The image size was 9.53GB, so I had (5) .tib files. I ran the "check image" on the image and it was successful. I then used RecordNow and created 3 DVDs (2 files on 1, 2 files on 1, and 1 file on 1). I then used "check image" on the DVDs. It failed with corruption. I re-ran the "Check image" on the hard drive and it was successful.

THANKS,
    PETE

12. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Yes.

That's fine, or to fit a bit more on each DVD, use 2234MB instead of 2000MB. You can burn two of these files to each CD, but try a slower recording speed. You don't need to format the DVD when you use RecordNow or Nero in this fashion.

Sonic has a UDF formatting utility called DLA. Check your Programs list for it. You might not need Nero afterall if it was included with your version of RecordNow.

13. Menorcaman

Hi John,

I can't speak for Roxio software. However, using Nero, I know for sure if you split the image into 2234MB chunks and try to burn a DVD-ROM (ISO) compilation Nero will pop up an error message stating the file size exceeds the 2GB ISO limit. Hence the reason we recommend the 2000MB file size.

Regards
    Tom

14. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Pete, search the forum for posts on how to use a md5sum program to generate checksum for your images - on the DVD's and on the hard disk. If Sonic burned the images without errors, the checksums will match.

If not, something is wrong somewhere in the chain of Sonic -> Windows -> Driver -> DVD-burner -> DVD media.

And you are not restricted to md5sum'ing image files. Try any big file that you burn and see if they also gets corrupted.

If the checksum matches, then True Image has a problem reading the images :(

15. PETE67

PETE67 Registered Member

Thanks again everyone !

I tried to create a new image last night of "Disk 1". Image created successful and verified successful. Used Sonic RecordNow to burn to DVDs.

I have (2) DVD drives on my Dimension 8400. (D:) drive is a 16X DVD_ROM. (E:) drive is a 16x DVD/RW. I tried to "Check Image" on the DVDs in the (D:) drive - and it FAILED. Just for a test I tried to "Check Image" from the (E:) drive and it was successful. Hardware issues maybe ? Or should I always use the (E:) drive ? If I use the "Emergency boot rescue media" - will it recognize my (E:) drive ?

THANKS,
    Pete

16. Menorcaman

Hi Pete,

That's good news!!

It's not unheard of for a CD/DVD recorded on one drive not to be 100% compatable with another drive (particularly towards the outer edge of a full disk). So, yes, it could be a hardware issue and I feel you would be better off sticking to your E: drive for these large data files.

No reason why not unless it's in an external USB enclosure, in which case you may have a Linux device detection problem. Best to just boot from the rescue CD and suck it and see.

Regards

17. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hi Tom,

You hit it. I use the Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator 6 software with my DVD writer. It's happy to violate the ISO limit.

18. Menorcaman

Hi again John,

Thanks for confirming this important difference between Roxio and Nero (I wonder if Roxio is the only one?). I guess it's safer to stick with the 2000MB, one size fits all, recommendation unless one qualifies the alternative size.

Regards
    Tom

19. PETE67

PETE67 Registered Member

THANKS EVERYONE - YOU'RE ALL SO HELPFUL !

I completed an image of "DISK 1" to DVDs last night using the 2000MB file sizes. I also verified it was a good image.

Quick question for anyone who might know. I used "NORMAL" compression and my "DISK 1" was about 12GB used space. I ended up with (5) tib files which was around 5-6GB on (2) DVDs. Does that sound about right ?

Thanks again,
    PETE

20. Acronis Support

Hello PETE,

Glad to hear you have solved the problem.

If you create an image of 12Gb used space and get the image of 5-6Gb it is normal situation. You may get larger images if you have a lot of video or audio files on a partition you wish to image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.