Why is my ISP IP still showing?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 3p4145, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3p4145

3p4145 Registered Member

I just installed D-LINK DI 604 (C1) and even after configuring it I still my external IP address..
    I see the ISP IP that was assigned to me on sites like:
    Shields up
    whatismyip.com
    etc...
    From what I understand these sights are supposed to see my private IP right?

insted of 192.xxx.xxx.xxx it actully sees my 70.xxx.xxx.xxx.. is this normal?

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

The simple answer, No they are not.

3. 3p4145

3p4145 Registered Member

but I thought with my HW firewall and NAT it wouldnt show my actual IP address....
    I was expecting to see 192.168.0.100

4. ThunderZ

No, unless I am missing your meaning. They will not see your PCs` nic card IP. At most they will see the router IP, more likely you ISPs` IP.

5. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Go to: Run, type "cmd" (without quotes) enter to open a command line. From there type: ipconfig and Enter. You should see an ip address of 192.168.0.xx

When you run online firewall scans they will show your router's ip address, which is far different than your machines ip address assigned by your router's built-in DHCP and is hidden behind your router's WAN side using NAT (Network Address Transalation). Your router is assigned its ip address by your ISP (Internet Service Provider)

6. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Wow, what fast-talking used car salesmen sold you that line of FUD? Your ISP address is how internet sites see you, period, its just that its your router which is acquiring the address instead of your computer now. The router allows you to share that one connection/ip with other computers behind the router, and acts as a basic firewall from the internet side.

Trying to hide your ip means that you up are to malicious intent....

7. ThunderZ

Jumping to a bit of a conclusion. :rolleyes: Privacy\security concerns lead many to hide\mask their actual PC`s nic IP. With my current setup my two towers and lap top (when docked) set behind a DSL modem then a router. All the outside world sees` is the modem IP. My firewall logs will a test to the effectiveness of this set up as they never shows any inbound connections needing to be blocked because there no longer are any. My lap top when undocked, is in effect, behind 2. Though of course WPA is enabled with a 63 character pass phrase. :cool:

8. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

....and? How does that many any difference at all, and your modem ip is the ip address that your ISP gave you anyway. The OP somehow thought that a router would change the ip address that everyone else would see when it came to internet communications. Behind a lan doesn't mean jack...

I still maintain that people looking to hide their ip address are up to malicious intent....

9. ThunderZ

He was apparently misinformed. I question his reasoning for him wanting sites to see his personal IP.

Maintain all you wish. In some instances you are correct, not all.

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Well, you're going to have to include me in that category since I always use anonymising proxies (more to prevent my ISP from logging online activities as they are required by law to do than prevent sites from seeing where I come from though). However that is a topic that has been extensively discussed before.
    NAT actually works in reverse by making all your computers appear to be sharing your ISP-assigned address, hiding their private addresses. It does help improve security by blocking unsolicitied incoming traffic (though you may need to explicitly allow some with certain applications like filesharing) but for online privacy you need to consider other options (discussed in the link above).

11. KrackerJack

KrackerJack Registered Member

Your private address is not always that private. In one particular case I can tell what your private address is as well as your public. RDP packets hold both your public IP address (the sender's address) as you would expect and your private address in the data area. This is for dynamic NAT as well. This is extremely useful in a number of ways. Have a look in your security logs (if you've enabled them for connections) and you can see the private address and the computer name.

There's also a couple of sites that claim to be able to show you your private address. "Danger! Security problem! Click here to fix" says the link. Nothing more than than using java to read your IP Addr and get you to read marketing material.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.