Why is my full backup divided into slices

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tuttonp, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuttonp

tuttonp Registered Member

A bit confused here.

I have Acronis 10 installed on my PC. Attached to it is a 250GB External USB Drive containing all my music (E:), in addition I have a 250GB Synology NAS drive on my home network with all my photos on it (Mapped as P:).

I created a full backup of all my music (120gb's worth) from E:\Music to P:\ which was created as one single backup file, Brilliant, just what I wanted.

I now want to create a backup of all my photos (43gb's worth) (P:) to E:\Acronis Photo Backup. Everytime I try and create a full backup I end up with a 12 volume backup and what I really want is just one single backup file.

I've not set any options during the backup process.

Any ideas as to how I can force a single backup rather than a multiple volume

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Is E: Fat32 ? only able to have max 4 gig files ? If so change E: to NTFS and you will get one image.

3. tuttonp

Aha!!!, spot on sir. Thanks very much.

Now, as I have already created a backup from my FAT32 drive (music backup), if I convert the drive to NTFS can I then restore the backup backo_O?

4. appster

appster Registered Member

Yes, as long as nothing is corrupted.

5. tuttonp

Guys, thanks for all your help.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you used an image for a backup rather than a Files and Folders backup when you restore the image it will reset the partition back to FAT32 since all of the partition format information is in the image and is thus restored.

7. wenglish98027

wenglish98027 Registered Member

Converting from FAT32 to NTFS using the convert command (from the command prompt) will not destroy your data, so you should not need to restore the data.

Mike

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Quite correct. However, Convert creates 512byte clusters and that is considered a poor setting for cluster-size by many. Normal default size is 4096 bytes. You can change the cluster-size later with some products like Partition Magic and perhaps Acronis DD - maybe they even do a better "convert" as well.

Whether or not anybody sees 512 byte clusters as the end-of-the-world is up to them; post is for information only.

9. wenglish98027

wenglish98027 Registered Member

I didn't know that, thanks.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.