why is it hard to remove firefox??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by taleblou, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:
    Has anyone noticed that when you try to uninstall latest firefox browsers from version 9 onward it does not uninstall?? I have used windows uninstaller and other uninstaller and firefox is still there? The only way to get rid of it was to search for it in windows search and delete them manually and still some remnant of it can not be deleted. Does firefox us hooks or embed itself into windows? My operating system is windows 7 32bit home. I do not know about other OP systems.

Anyway does anyone know of a good firefox uninstaller out there that does the job? Thanks in advance.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Funny, that's what Chrome does for me. You remove the thing, start deleting its many leftovers, and you can't because "file is in use", meaning there is still a process running. Lo and behold, there it is in task manager, running happily along.

I've never once had that issue with Firefox, except for various little entries left over, which isn't a Firefox issue so much as it is a Windows issue. I've never had a program completely uninstall..ever. Folders, registry entries, files, many hang around afterward. I'd suggest both manually hunting them down and using CCleaner. No uninstaller program I've ever used has done a 100% clean-up.

3. taleblou

Hi:

I even tried it in safemode and still the sameo_O Very strange. I never used chrome but used comodo dragon (chrome based) before and never has this issue.

I love maxthon 3 but it will works if there are no EMET set to high security.

Anyway I want to try palemoon but since firefox is stuck I gave up for now. I think maybe next time when I format then I will not use firefox.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have never uninstalled FF, but at some point I uninstalled Chrome once. After a few months, I re-installed it and all my settings and bookmarks were there like it was never uninstalled. :blink:

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Chrome has a 'hidden' folder in User/AppData/Local/Google or Chrome, if i recall

Firefox store its stuff in User/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla

that's why you still have your user settings left even if you uninstalled those browsers.

delete those folders after uninstalling either one.

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

and if it says they are still in use either reboot into safe mode and delete them or end the firefox procc's from task manager and then delete them.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

taleblou, perhaps this Uninstalling Firefox article might help.

Also, the Uninstalling Firefox (mozillaZine KB) link at the bottom, takes you to a page that states:
    Perhaps this is why there are leftovers.

8. taleblou

Hi:

Thanks for advices but manually uninstalling is the only way for me I guess?? Anyway how is palemoon compared to firefox? which ones is beter. I hear palemoon is faster and less resource hog and better then firefox and all firefox add-ons work on it? Is that true?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.