Why is Bitdefender Internet Security bad and yet gets good reviews?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I visited their forums, saw a plethore of problems by users, mostly complaining that BIS (Bitdefender Internet Security) caused their internet to crawl like a turtle or incompatibility with others software.

I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt as I read many good things about it in reviews and virus scan results.

The good thing about it I liked is that it is very light on the system (sort of like how nice the performance of my laptop feels with Eset on), yet it has a powerful scanning engine such as Kaspersky.

Now I used it for a couple of weeks and got many problems, mostly, Firefox 14 used to crash on me a lot and I blamed Mozilla, it appeared to be a problem from Bitdefender Internet Security.

2nd problem I faced was sometimes while watching a video MPC-HC would freeze.

3rd, my internet DID feel a lot slower

So someone please tell me, do those reviewers just test a product against a bunch of viruses then determine if it's good or not and write the review accordingly or what? because I am sure none of them has actually used it in real life. Surely all those people complaining must mean something.

I have my license, and I have a 3 year ESS license and have reverted back to using ESS as I want a stable product.

What is your thoughts on this guys?

2. waters

waters Registered Member

I use the antivirus and have no problems at all.Of all i have used,its the best on my system with no slowdowns and great protection.Safe pay is also a big plus.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

How can it feel light on the system but with slower internet?

4. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Well maybe Bitdefender has a light and efficient realtime guard that sucks interneto_O

5. waters

waters Registered Member

"Best Security Product for 2011" by AV-Test, Bitdefender keeps the standards high!AV-TEST results for 2012 prove that Bitdefender remains the "Best Security Product" in terms of Protection, Repair and Usability ,is one of many reviews but after trying it ,if its not right For You try something else.
    Go over to another forum like Norton and see other users problems,there are plenty of choices and free trials

6. berryracer

exactly, system feels snappy, but internet browsing is sluggish

7. carat

carat Guest

Try BullGuard, you will get the great BitDefender engine without all the bugs! :D

8. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Or Roboscan, without all the false positives ;)

9. Amin

Amin Registered Member

@berryracer

you'd better to contact the bitdefender experts like Christian in the BD forum.
    these problem u mentioned , i have non of those. but let me tell you sth,
    first time i installed BD TS , i felt can't open a site and my net speed was kinda dead. i figured out firefox was sent to the untrusted group in the application rules. exactly when i moved it out to trusted group everything seemed nice. but regardless of what i told you , you'd better ask Christian first.

10. berryracer

hmm, I decided to give it another try and now to my surprise my system AND browsing is snappy!

thanks for the suggestion to try it again man!

feels safer to have the best antivirus engine :)

11. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

We get more complaints and refund requests for Bitdefender products than any other SKUs. I'd say 10x more.

However, these are generally novice users who install, leave their protection set to maximum and wonder why their system slows or has other issues. They don't know how to configure their security and often have other security toolbars and apps, then wonder why things don't work like they expect.

As users are impatient and expect things to work outside the box, they ask for a refund rather than trying to configure/figure things out.

We get NO refund requests for Kaspersky products, I'll add. Some for AVG. Mostly Bitdefender :(

I sent a complaint to a top guy at Bitdefender yesterday saying we were sick of all the Bitdefender refund requests. We get a few daily.

12. WOW, really?

I found the bitdefender setup to be simple. Very simple. I don't understand why people would have issues with it. It's not like a HIPS etc..

13. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

Have you dealt with novice users? Some of them order from us and don't even know how to download files from the internet. Seriously.

I can give a user the direct link to the 'offline' version of Bitdefender Total Security 2013, from the Bitdefender server, give them instructions how to download to their desktop, and still they complain they can't download.

Ironically, this "I can't download" comes from their existing security software configure so highly that it prevents them downloading exes from the internet, using Internet Explorer.

I won't name magazine brands, but one UK magazine in particular has novice users who attempt to install multiple security suites, thinking it will offer them better protection. Used to be a regular complaint. They'd have AVG Anti-Virus installed and would buy, say, Bitdefender Internet Security and expect to be able to install both on the same computer.

14. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

You were saying... :argh:

Got an email with both of these at the end quite recently.

> No virus found in this incoming message.
    > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
    > Version: 9.0.930 / Virus Database: 2437.1.1/5234 - Release Date: 08/30/12
    > 04:34:00
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > =======
    > Email scanned by PC Tools - No viruses or spyware found.
    > (Email Guard: 7.0.0.18, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.19250)
    > http://www.pctools.com/
    > =======

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Although BD gets high marks from AV-C, and I trust the results, I once used BD for a couple of years, maybe 10 years ago. It would not run well with other security applications, and BD instructed me to remove all except BD, even including my firewall. I was not using BDIS if they even had it then.

The BD forum mods were convinced that if one had problems with BD it was the user's fault, and they were very rude stating such, even to name calling.
    I ditched BD, and no matter how well it performs I will not use it.
    Jerry

16. Amin

Amin Registered Member

but things changed during this 10 years..there are no software conflicts but u can even install mbam alongside of bd. there are not just user faults but there is also something named BUG.. there are not rude mods but there are kind and skilled mods like Christian... and so & so..

u wanna know if i'm right , go ahead and give it a try yourself.:)

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Amin,
    Thanks, and I am pleased that the mods have changed. When I first used it I had replaced Norton. I found BD ran well for awhile. In general it has been a better than average performer in detection.

I will consider giving it another shot sometimes. There have been some good discounts lately.:)

Regards,
    Jerry

18. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi Jerry,
    I bought mine from this place. Good price and I am very happy with it.:)

http://store.downloadcrew.com/?act=search&brand=325

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Good price. Thanks.
    Jerry

20. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Good to know things have changed. I haven't looked back at BD since 2010 although I have used software using BD engine (F-Secure, BullGuard etc). Its one of my favorite engine btw...

21. waters

waters Registered Member

Got mine from there,great price.I had to remove Shadow defender though but now it runs great.

22. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

If you are specifically referring to the internet security then i would like to say the firewall sucks according to matousec and I think I would have to agree with them I tried using it on a VM and firewall was crap in outbound protection.
    AV comoponent seems to be good although the biggest draw back seems to be the installer size, its 200 MB installer and on top of that requires 800MB free space although recommended is around 1.8GB ! and thats minimum requirement !

and the daily updates were more than 8-10mb.

compare that to eset which IMO is simply better ;)

23. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Last time I tried it (AV only) it was groanormously heavy on my PC-XP. My PC turned into a cyber 'sloth'.

24. berryracer

no comparison please I dont want to have this thread closed.

But Eset Smart Security's firewall gets the worst reviews unfortunately due to it allowing many items by default thus you have to stick to the interactive mode to be really safe, but then it becomes tedious to click allow / deny on every single process on your computer

25. berryracer

I have tried literally ever AV / Internet Security out there this year and I can tell you in terms of lightness NOD32/ESS takes the no. 1 place then Bitdefender comes in seconds along with avast!

then the rest.

Bitdefender has improved a lot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.