Why i like firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Oleg, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

I know many people say IE7 is just fine,but not for me IE7 does not even come close to what Firefox 3 can do.
    1. Speed
    2. Web standards
    3. Extensions
    4. Themes
    5. Flexibility
    6. More secure

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

It's good that you like Firefox. The only thing I don't like about it is that the CPU spikes quite often when using it, especially with media-rich websites.

I'm currently using IE 7 with IE7Pro add-on to see how it performs. Several of the websites I visit are not (fully) compatible with Opera yet (stupid IE infection).

3. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

The only reason i like Firefox is because there are some really usefull addons. Easy DragToGo, Smart Location Bar and DownloadHelper for example.
    Other than that i use Opera because its overall faster in booting and loading webpages. Oh sometimes i need Firefox because some webpages dont work with Opera and vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

It is good to have choices

5. ambient_88

Indeed. :thumb:

6. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Like what sites?
    I have had no problem with CPU spikes.
    If you are going to use IE make sure you have good protection and MVS host file :)

7. ambient_88

Just media-rich websites in general. Also, Opera has BitTorrent and IRC (which I use every day) built-in, which saves me from using multiple applications.

Thanks for suggesting an MVS host file, but I don't need it. If disaster strikes (very rare with DefenseWall) I can just roll back my system using Rollback Rx.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  8. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Well if your computer got infected you need it.

9. ambient_88

You mean the MVS host file? Like I said, in the rare event that I get infected I can just roll back my system to a time before it got infected.

10. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Virus can write it's self into restore points.

11. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Then it's enough turning off System restore.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i like firefox but i prefer opera. opera is faster,at least atm more secure and has everything i need bultin.

13. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

I am just pointing this out to ambient_88 that system restore is not a good defense.

14. Long View

Long View Registered Member

FF works with Roboform, Opera Doesn't. FF works with Web Research, Opera Doesn't. Can't be bothered to find out how many other programs won't work with Opera - a slightly faster speed and no more real security is not enough to get me to switch from FF to OPrah.

15. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

The same here :)

16. ex3

ex3 Registered Member

you can customize FF for your own needs

17. ambient_88

I am NOT using Windows Vista's system restore function. What I am using is Rollback Rx, which uses sector mapping to take a snapshot of a hard drive at the bit-level (not inside Windows). No chance for the restore points to get infected.

18. ambient_88

I don't use external programs in conjunction with a browser, so that is really not a big deal to me. The websites that are incompatible with Opera just needs to update their code so that it complies with the web standards.

19. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

It's browser code needs to be updated not scripting it's self.

20. ambient_88

Why would Opera ASA need to update their browser code? Their browser is one of the most standards compliant around. Some websites are not compatible because of poor compliance with the web standards.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I use IE7 here and I find that it beats Firefox 3 on 1), 2) and 6). I don't much care about themes and extensions.... Nowadays you see more security issues in Firefox than IE7.

22. ambient_88

I disagree with you. Internet Explorer is definitely not better when it comes to speed, web standards, and security.

Speed: While it is not slow, it is not also faster than Firefox 3. It also consumes more memory than Firefox 3.

Web Standards: IE 7 is bad when it comes to web standards. Simple as that. It can't even pass the Acid2 test.

Security: Looking at the Secunia advisory, IE 7 currently has 3 out of 7 vulnerabilities currently unpatched. Firefox 3 has 0 out of 3 vulnerabilities unpatched.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, I can only report what I see here, IE7 is faster than FF3 on my machine. Opera beats them both however. I also think most web pages are written for IE compatibility. And to take a snapshot of one moment in time on Secunia for example is pretty meaningless. You'd need to do that over time, say for the next 6-9 months. Let's see how both do and then pass judgement. I'd wager FF3 will have more vulnerabilities reported than IE7 in the next 6-9 months, or year, or whatever. Truth is, FF is full of holes and one massive vulnerability-fest ever since v2 hit the streets....

24. ambient_88

Since 2003-2008, IE7 has had 29 vulnerabilities with 10 currently unpatched. Isn't that enough to say that IE is less secure than Firefox 3? I mean, all IE users out there are at risk because 10 vulnerabilities are unpatched.

Most websites are indeed written to be compatible with IE, and that is not a good thing. The web developers are resorting to workarounds just so it can display properly in IE. Hopefully it'll change with IE8, which is touted to be standards compliant like Firefox and Opera.

25. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

I have seen many computers got hit with viruses,because of IE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.