Why Firefox 4 isn't abandoning Windows XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Thankful, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Frankly I for one am glad to see the Firefox decision, and honestly I don't care about what the age of XP is, there is one simple fact I can't over look.

It still works perfectly for me. I've played with Win 7 on my newest and biggest machine, and it was a challenge to get it working, and it doesn't work perfectly. The other machines would be even harder.

Obviously when I buy new machines, that will be different, but dollars aren't the only cost. For back protection, I use 3 different computers, and they are all configured identically. This way I can sync data and shift working to any one of them if necessary. To replace the OS on all of them even if it works would be very time consuming, and at the end of the day, I'd only be running what already runs well on the current machines and OS.

The time will come, yes, but I don't see any hurry. All my software is marketed towards the folks that are hanging on to XP, namely business.

Pete

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Wow, people are STILL crying about this?

The simple fact here is that XP will be supported until 2014. I'd challenge you or anyone who cares to accept it to name me any other software company that has maintained support for a program version - let alone an entire OS - for almost a decade and a half, but I won't, since it'll be nothing but a waste of time because you're going to fail.

The simple fact here is also that people like you are cheapskates who don't want to part with their money. And guess what? That's perfectly fine. It's your money, you earned it, you're the one who gets to decide what to do with it. But please, do yourselves a favor and stop feeling this irrational need to justify your decision by playing the "OMG M$ SO GREEDY" card. Your decisions are perfectly valid, there's no need to try to compensate for it and end up accomplishing nothing but making yourselves look like complete idiots.

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1 :thumb:
    +1 :thumb:
    As it seems, some college-boys have NO idea what's going on the Market:
    World Economic Crisis and 'Corp. Expenditure' Reduction...
    :thumb: ;) ;)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The same applies to those who try to make out that moving to Win7 is essential. If something is inevitable, it will occur. Pushing and shoving (and insulting) just isn't necessary.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

alot has changed in the computer world since 2001.
    search on google and you will quickly find out that everytime microsoft releases a new OS people say its crap because guess what people dont like change.
    I feel that people should be more willing to try things for themselves.

the more operating systems devolopers have to support the less they can improve their applications.
    I only have windows 7 on my desktop because i managed to get a retail license for £50 as a preorder deal. otherwise I would of been happy to stay with vista.

why is it people want microsoft to improve windows but when they do people complain? example 1. vista made some big changes from xp but people complained because 3rd party devlopers didnt have fully functional drivers /software ready when vista came out. but they blamed microsoft and not nvidia creative hp etc...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

*PalmToFace*

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-Economics is a factor when you have to buy new Software: $(XP=>W7)*Many Work Stations (IF they can run W7).

-Economics is a factor when you ALSO have to buy new Hardware (apart from New Software: W7),
    because your old PCs canNot run W7.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  8. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Yes. The valid argument is within what you quoted.

For the third time: XP has been 'not the most current OS' for only four years.
    That's a fact.
    Whether or not you yourself consider that a valid point doesn't change the fact nor the validity of that point.

The devs at Mozilla might seem to believe there's something to that point, as they've made the decision to support XP usage with Firefox 4, eh?

Or perhaps they're just a bunch of senseless, addle-headed idiots as well?

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Fully agree. It works, why replace it.
    Age means nothing, unless you're into useless hypes.
    Mrk

10. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

That goes for me too. My system's antique and definitely couldn't handle Win 7, but for my purposes it works just fine. I imagine my hardware will die before MS ends its support for XP, and at that point (and not before then) I'll do again what I've been doing since I've been on computers, nearly 25 years now: replace it with a new system which includes whatever the current OS is then, most likely Win 7 (or even 8 ).

11. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

My wifes machine still does use XP. I do have W7 x32 install disc ultimate. If I installed W7 she would need to change everything she does. It would be a huge change. The machine actually would allow me to install W7 but it is 6 plus years old. I am not sure it would be worth the effort. If the machine fails I will simply get her a new computer with an updated OS. Cost is not an issue. The computer does everything she needs it to do & she doesn't really care about all the latest bells & whistles of W7. Why should I go looking for trouble.

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Bunch of ot post removed. Stay on subject please.

13. Someheresomethere

Someheresomethere Registered Member

Although Firefox 4 might be compatible with Xp, somehow I highly doubt those public institutions that can't afford upgrading to decent (Yes I say decent, because hardware that can't even meet Widnows 7's minimum system requirements is pathetic) will upgrade to Firefox 4 anyway. They'll probably keep using the latest Internet Explorer that comes with Windows Update and that's it. Certainly not enough of a reason for developers to waste time and resources for Xp development, stalling overall progress for the vast majority of PC users.

Microsoft has supported (and technically is still supporting) XP for way too long.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Most corporations have contracts in place with PC vendors to receive new systems every year/couple of years, so I still don't see how major businesses don't have the minimum requirements for Win 7, if not over that. Home users are different, if they want to piddle around, that's fine. I can also see the "mom and pop" businesses delaying as well, since over the last few years, they're lucky if they don't shut down period, never mind upgrade things. For the rest, no, there's little excuse.

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I currently work in a very big company, they have more than 2000+ computers all with Windows XP and IE 6.
    I can stand the Win XP thing but IE 6?
    They want us to perform very good (and that requires lots of browsing) and they give us IE 6? Some websites don't even load correctly.

XP should be long gone!! Get rid of iiiiiiiiiiit! :D

16. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Probably not. When it comes to pathetic hardware or otherwise, Public Libraries are closing down in my country due to vicious ideological cuts in funding. I would rather have a library with pathetic hardware than no hardware at all.

Probably. But why not let it die gradually as people eventually & inevitably have to upgrade their hardware?

17. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Start taking some of your $$$,donate it to the healthcare system,public libraries,etc.

Govt's are cutting funding,period. Start reading the news people! It's clear that alot of you do not understand the economic crisis the world is in.

18. Someheresomethere

Someheresomethere Registered Member

I perfectly understand the spending cuts, what I'm saying is that it's not a valid reason for developers to keep supporting Xp.

19. Eice

Eice Registered Member

So why is that fact important at all? You seem to keep avoiding explaining it.

I wouldn't put it so harshly, but a strong case can probably be made for that.

20. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

If they can afford to.

21. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I started using Firefox back in 2004 simply because it had a pop-up blocker, which IE didn't have, and I've never looked back. Since then Mozilla have led the way leaving IE in the dust. If Microsoft expects people to spend their money with them they'd do well to learn from Mozilla. Why should I give Microsoft my $$ so they can keep developing crap? More and more I'm leaning toward the Ubuntu/Linux camp.

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I respectfully disagree.
    The world economic crisis has severely decreased IT expenditure and made Corp. clients to reconsider their Policies/Contracts etc.
    Many big Corp. clients will keep Windows XP as long as the world economic crisis holds on.
    To avoid miss-understanding, I am not exclusively referring to the US market.

23. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Wow. I'm sure glad about this FF4 and XP thing. When I heard I couldn't run IE9 on my XP system, I thought I was gonna have to go out and BUY SOMETHING! :ouch:

24. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

"I thought I was gonna have to go out and BUY SOMETHING!"

LOL! :D This has to be quote of the week! ;)

(I know how you feel)

25. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.