Why eCards, eVites, eGreetings, and such are eVil

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Randy Abrams

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The number one reason for sending them is to save on postage and card costs (the cheapo factor). If you could not see that obvious one, you must be lacking in the brain cell count. :rolleyes:

3. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Hi ccsito:

Do not forget the lazy factor. One can send an e-card in less than 5 minutes, whereas a regular card needs to be purchased, signed, and mailed. And what says "I care" more than 2 puppies waving their heads and tails. While I always considered these to be a security risk, I never really gave much thought to the the fact that the sender is likely giving away the recipients e-mail address to a third party. Thank god for the junk mail account.

4. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

A good read! Thanks ronjor!

I see you often post links to good articles, and I appreciate that.

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I never did like eCards too many security issues ie trojan droppers; viruses; keyloggers. There is a possibility that they would end up in peoples spam filter if the were not addressed directly to the person, people might just delete them accidentally. There is a .jpg virus too, so eCards are just a bad idea. I think a phone call is better anyway.

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

A lot of e-cards have what is called the "cute factor". Many have animations using flash and music videos or cartoons. You cannot project an animated image via a phone call (unless you have a video phone or I-phone), but then you run the risk of sending a corrupted video message via that device. Also, if you want to send greetings to 50 people, you have to make 50 phone calls. With e-cards, just one click sends your greetings to a slew of recipients.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.