Why DVD disks against CD-RW's??... Can they save more data?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by doodallybloke, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doodallybloke

doodallybloke Registered Member

I don’t have a DVD writer and/or viewer on my machine as I prefer to keep it simply as a computer which is probably why I still have my old OS, w98se. I don’t play games and stuff on it either, so my spec doesn’t have to be that high. A bit of music is all fine by me. I do however use a load of both CD-R’s and CD-RW’s. I try to get both in the 700Mb size for my .wav and .mp3 files, using my external drive for storage.

My question is this….. To backup TI to CD's, (my recent backup to my external HD was some 11-12Gb (under 'normal' compression) should I be using the DVD type disks because they can hold and save a lot more data? I don't really know as I have never used them. Perhaps some examples of size could be posted by you guys with DVD's of one against the other.

Thanks.

Doodallybloke :doubt:

2. Fuzzy John

Fuzzy John Registered Member

A CD holds 650 or 700 MB. A DVD holds 4.7 GB. That means that you would have to use about 7 times more CDs that DVD for an image.

3. doodallybloke

WOW... I had no ideal and I've been computing for years. It's pretty simple really when you work it out, that's why I've been backing up up to my external HD. For me it's roughly a 12Gb compressed backup. 700Mb sized CD-RW's...... that makes around 17-18 CD-RW's required. Whereupon your way with the DVD disks comes out at 3.. !!

Yup... I agree... YOUR way is definitly better.... ha

Trouble is Fuzzy it begs the question now..... can I format a DVD disk from the CD player that I have installed with the InCD program from Ahead Software (ie: Nero) or do I have to purchase a new DVD reader/player?.. Surely not. That can't be right, can it?

I suspect that this question has been asked here many times before but to continue this thread and so that others can have an answer as well.... I think it's best that any answer/reply is still posted here.

Learn something every day and still learning!

4. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

You will need the DVD RW drive which can be found at the local Wal-Mart for under 100$. Its well worth the price in my opinion. Be sure to grab about 25 DVD RW discs as well. Then you can use them over and over. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Eliot

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, doodallybloke

I am sorry to say Yes you will need a DVD Rewriter Drive.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. TheQuest

Hi, Eliot

Sorry to post the same as you, typed it but did not post it right off. [it's my age :D ]

Take Care.

7. Fuzzy John

Fuzzy John Registered Member

And I would add that it pays to get quality DVD RW discs. What are quality DVD RW discs? That could start a heated debate. I use Sony.

8. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Hiya TheQuest, no prob, just proves we're right, LOL. Ya could be worse, like me. slow mo typo. LOL :D

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You can pick one up that reads/writes DVD/DVD dual layer/CD -- all the formats for about $50 at discount places on-line like Newegg.com

for example, roam around this stuff:

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=10

If you're running XP, you can just get a bare bones drive like the Sony or lite-on and XP will have the drivers for it.

good luck,
    sh

10. doodallybloke

Brilliant reply so far you guys... Thanks to you all.

Finally however I have one further doodally question... then this thread will be exhausted.

If I get a cheapo DVD rewriter just to format the DVD disks... can I then write my TI backups to the DVD disks with my somewhat more expensive (and fast) CD writer?
    OR
    Should I get a more expensive DVD writer/player and THAT player has to do all the writing in it's DVD format including ALL of my future intended TI images? Hope that's clear as mud.

If it is the latter then pressumably it would be this DVD player that would used in future for all re-booting and so on. Is that right?

I'm sorry that perhaps I don't understand all this DVD stuff as I've never had such a player on my system. I purchase a £16 ($30 ish) piece of software to do my backups and now have all the expence and time of getting the right equipment for it to function. It's somewhat ironic to say the least.

As my name suggests.... I really should have thought this out a bit more... ha

BTW. Thanks to EVERYONE who has so far contributed to this thread.

Without doubt you can take it that I appreciate all your time and effort.

11. TheQuest

Hi, doodallybloke

In Kent it's would be dooally, but as only unasked questions are dooally, so your are bright ask.

NO as both Eliot and I posted earlier.

Optical Dives of which there a many here are a [quick list] few common ones. [I will probley with some mistakes]

CD Rom: Read only from CD media.

DVD Rom: Read only from DVD media [not common as most will be CD-DVD Rom]

CD-DVD Rom: Read only from CD and DVD media.

CD Rewriters: can only Read & Write to CD-R or CD-RW media.

CDRW-DVD Rom combo: Read & Write CD-R-CD-RW media Read DVD media.

DVD Rewriters: [depening on specs] Read & Write to CD-R CD-RW DVD-R DVD-RW DVD+R DVD+RW.

The list of what a DVD Rewriter specs can do can go on well beyond what I know.

That is very hard to advise on from me, it depends on the use. [by a rule of thumb you usualy get what you pay for]

You do not have to have DVD Rewiter
    As your question started:-

Take Care,

12. doodallybloke

Thanks to all and to the detail in the last post from 'TheQuest'.... Before i put this thing to bed perhaps I can get your opinions on this quote from a poster on another Board.

Reviewer: A software user from Shrewsbury, Shropshire, United Kingdom.

" I have used True Image 7 and now 8 for a couple of years and can confirm it is superior to Powerquest Drive Image 7.0 which I guess makes it better than Ghost 9.0 now that Symantec (Norton) have bought PowerQuest. I use this with a one touch Maxtor external hard drive. I also used PowerQuest (now Symantec/Norton) Partition Magic to separate my data, applications and operating systems into separate partitions for weekly-unattended incremental backups. I have done numerous restores (at one point my hard drive died) plus restoring individual files and it works great. It is really easy to use. Don't try to back up to DVD - external hard drives are so inexpensive nowadays and this is much better. There 's quite good support from the user forum and Acronis are "OK" at support - but they are getting like Symantec and charging. Also release 8.0 offered almost zero added value over 7.0 so Acronis are not "the anti-Symantec" champion you might think. "

--------------------------
    I posted it in full. Not really interested in the Symantic part but more interested in the comment on the ex.HD bit. It would appear that he/she is saying that it's better to backup to an ex.HD rather than DVD disks. As I'm new to TI and I am still finding out what it does or does not do, is what is stated feasible??

[MOVE]If true then this poster has saved me some dosh!!![/MOVE]

Comments invited anyone....

13. TheQuest

Hi, doodallybloke

[move]If true then this poster has saved me some dosh!!! That is what you will have to decide :doubt: [/move]

Not only feasible but the first layer of a backup should always be to a HDD either Internal or External. [IMO]

But as for saving money, you must cost the price of a HDD [and or an external USB HDD Holder].

If you have two HDD or a USB External, then you have saved money o_O .

Take Care.

14. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I have observed that the frequency of making backups to CD or DVD disks can be expressed by the following formula:

AF = IF x (the number of disks required cubed)

For boy scouts, the number of disks may only be squared, but for the average user the number of disks is more likely to be raised to the fourth or fifth power, so cubed is an optomistic average.

Where:
    AF = the actual frequency that backups are made
    IF = the intended frequency proclaimed as in
    "I'm going to backup every week." where IF = 1 week

So, for the case if IF = 1 week and the number of disks = 1 ( as to an external hard drive), AF = 1 x 1 cubed = 1 and backups are made regularly.

For three disks, AF = 1 x 3 cubed = 27 and backups are made every 6 months. None the less, the system owner will claim that "I just made a backup." no matter how much dust has accumulated on the disks.

When this is combined with a second immutable law of nature that backups always exceed one disk with optical media, backups are only made on a regular basis to external, networked or internal hard drives.

In less technical terms, screw buying a new DVD writer and use your external hard drive. Then there's a hope that you will have a backup when you need one.

15. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

And don't forget that many, including myself, have not been able to make the DVD backup feature work (remember you have to format the DVD media). Some seem to think that the chipset of the external hardware plays a role when it comes to success or not with DVD backups. In any case, it seems that it is an "iffy" process. Using an external hard drive is, in my opinion, the way to go - large hard drives being the price they are these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.