Why doesn't NOD come setup with BlackSpear's config by default ?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Defenestration, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Because, for instance, scanning all files on servers might result in severe problems (that regards all AV programs, not only NOD). Also, the use of advanced heuristics would cause a lot of FPs if all people in the world got it enabled at the same time. As to comaptibility modes in the HTTP scanner, every application is set to higher compatibility be default due to some issues opening certain websites in the past.

3. scrood

scrood Guest

Because the settings are geared toward over-the-top, warm-fuzzy paranoia, spend-4-hours-per-day-tweaking-my-AV-scanner, not real-word sensibility. Tell me why, for example, I'd want to scan TXT files on my system. Why would I want to make NOD32 feel more like KAV?

4. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Actually, it took me a couple of minutes to apply BlackSpear's configs along with my own preferred tweaks. Once, then done. BlackSpear has the right idea, especially for someone not too familiar with NOD32. The tweaks make it a *much* more powerful program. AFAIC, NOD32 can never feel like KAV, even with every setting maxed out. Unless of course you're running a kerosene powered computer. Don't confuse diligence with paranoia. :rolleyes:

5. sagittarius

sagittarius Registered Member

I'm with you QBgreen ... I use Blackspear's settings on every client's computer I set up ... it only takes a couple of minutes extra which for me, is a small price to pay peace of mind & the knowledge that I have done my best.
    Even then, some of these people can make me "paranoid" - seeing the kind of trouble they can get themselves into, even with the best antivirus in the world configured to maximum efficiency!!! :eek:

6. scrood

scrood Guest

I wasn't saying that BlackSpear's configuration guide itself takes a long time; I was saying that it is a configuration suited to that sort of mindset. Not that I disagree with all of it...

Don't confuse excess with diligence. :rolleyes:

7. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

On my workstation there's no noticeable slowdown with the 'blackspear config'.
    I might want to scan .txt files because they might be a renamed .exe or have multiple extensions or whatever. Nod is effecient enough that it's no burden to have it set up that way.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I prefer a layered defense, relating it to a house, I would be using locks, deadbolts, alarm system, back to base monitoring, CCTV and security screens. When it comes to personal or computer security I don't think you can ever be too safe ;) :D

Actually having tweaked hundred’s and hundred’s of Nod32, it takes a few minutes, and I think it is VERY sensible, you ought to work in my shop for a week, and it would only take a single week for you to see why we tweak Nod32 to the maximum. The general public needs to be as secure as possible. ;) :D

If a person wants to lower their security then it is a choice that they make and with that they live with any consequences that should follow. I have long advocated this stance. I have suggested in Future Changes to Nod32 that we ought to have a “Maximum Settings default button”, everything set as tight as possible.

I see it as due diligence to set each of my clients Nod32 software to maximum, if they choose to lower these settings (and none of them do), it is a choice. It is no different than choosing to have airbags in your car, not an excess, a fantastic and very safe option.

Cheers :D

9. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Good idea. This would save a lot of time.

BTW, could a similar thing be achieved with Profiles ?

If so, how about putting a copy up on your sticky Blackspear, so that people can just import that to get your extra settings.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't see the point of not using AH all the time.
    It's like car very expensive car with disabled airbags and ABS.
    It's not so many false positives and performance hit isn't noticeable...

11. Blackspear

Agreed.

12. sagittarius

sagittarius Registered Member

Every comment Blackspear made in his posting applies to my situation (apart from the 100s & 100s of installations :D )
    When you are dealing with people who know next to nothing about computers & the internet, they generally rely on your judgement & in my case, you become their life-line.
    Since using these settings, I've found I get fewer calls for help, so that's good enough reason in itself for me to continue using them.

13. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I actually do notice a slowdown on my old machine when i have amon and imon set to scan all files.What extra extensions would be advised if i use the extension lists rather than all files options?.
    tia
    ellison

14. c_teech

c_teech Guest

15. Blackspear

Actually that is a mate of mine and he asked if he could use the images I made. So in fact you would have seen his link quite a bit after the thread was set up here at Wilders ;) :D And you will see the following at the bottom of his page: Screenshots courtesy of © Blackspear 2004

16. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I just wanted to voice agreement with scrood in respect to AMON settings. I see no need to have AMON scan every file. As to the on-demand scanner settings, I do max those out, though. No one probably cares how I choose to configure NOD32, but I just thought this thread was starting to be a little lopsided against scrood's viewpoint. Let's not forget that the people at ESET have far more experience with computer viruses than the lot of us combined, and I suspect they have very valid reasons for configuring the defaults as they have.

17. Blackspear

The defaults are set like that because of servers, the same reason why AMON is not switch on by Default on install, and why IMON ought to be turned off when used with a server.

18. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Surely the inclusion of a couple of settings files and a choice at installation would overcome a couple of these issues?

Perhaps several settings:

1. default installation - safe, but not the safest
    2. Max Security - may cause application conflicts
    3. Server Safe Installation - doesn't start IMON
    4. Fully customised installation - you set it up during install (as we currently have)

what's everyone think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.