Why does Windows think MSE isn't running?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by delerious, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delerious

delerious Registered Member

I just did a Windows Update, and one of the updates was for MSE. After I rebooted, Windows XP thinks MSE isn't running. The shield in the system tray shows a red X instead of the usual green check. The Windows Security Center says Virus Protection is Off. But MSE has real-time protection running fine and is up-to-date. MSE reports the following version info:

Antimalware Client Version: 4.1.522.0
    Engine Version: 1.1.8904.0
    Antivirus definition: 1.139.773.0
    Antispyware definition: 1.139.773.0

Also see the attached screenshot.

The only other "antivirus programs" installed on the computer are MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware, but those are not running real-time.

Attached Files:

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Try a reboot.

3. delerious

Yeah I tried rebooting a couple times and it's still like that.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. delerious

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

The best way to fix the problem is to simply disable the security center. It doesn't actually provide any real security anyway, and glitches like this happen all the time with it. One shouldn't need to be told what FW/AV they're running. You did, after all, install it. And if one of the products weren't functioning properly, it would let you know itself.

Not only is the service useless... as that is the case with 90% of the services. But it's one of the more resource intensive of the useless services as well.

And just an observation: that's quite a collection of gadgets you've got in your quick launch bar there. I'd guess there's nothing quick about your launch at all judging by it...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.