Why Does Scan Jump to 34%

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by poutine, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poutine

poutine Registered Member

Hi.
    sorry if this has been answered already but i have been wondering why when NOD32 v.3 does a scan it jumps to 34% before it actually starts scanning (or appears to) Thanks.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you have only executables in the folder being scanned? If there are tons of text files for instance, they will be scanned quickly whilst sacnning the executables will take considerably longer.

3. freesurfer

freesurfer Registered Member

I'm guessing it takes a noticable amount of time, otherwise you would't raise this issue, correct?

How long does this 34% CPU usage last before the actual scan starts? A second or two? Several seconds? Minutes?

Regards.

4. poutine

Hi Marcos.
    I just select an indepth scan of Drive C: it always starts its scan on 34% done, maybe it does my photos/music first ? The whole scan only takes 20 minutes and it scans all sys files etc... just wondered why it jumps to 34% so quickly, it must scan my photos etc in 5 seconds or less. !!! Is that ok and normal if my documents contain mainly music and pictures. ?

Sorry, its Scan percentage not CPU.

5. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

Thanks for asking! EAV 64-bit version with Vista 64-bit (Business Edition) starts at 50%. Never wanted to ask. Probaly thoght it starts with services/processes before scanning actual files. :D

6. MaVRiC

MaVRiC Registered Member

Because "Operating memory" is ticked in the scan option. Untick it and try.
    Dont forget to reselect it though, would hate to see a future post of "memory not being scanned".

7. poutine

Hi
    It was indeed the files and photos in documents that made the scan jump to 34% , i unticked documents and it began scanning at 1% ;)
    Thanks for all the suggestions as well.

8. Joan Archer

Joan Archer Registered Member

I did a manual scan this afternoon, it started at 18% and was there for a few minutes before going to 20% and over time it progressed. The whole scan took 1 hour 21 minutes to scan my C drive which is 80GB and I was not unhappy with this time knowing it was doing a thorough job.
    I know it scanned a few hundred thousand objects ;)

9. gladius

gladius Registered Member

It's natural that there will be some variation in how the scan progresses, for instance, scanning inside a single large archive will not progress the bar much, but may take a considerable amount more time - making it look as if the bar is paused or stuck. Best idea is to let the scan run in the background, and carry on with work ;-)

-AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.