Why does comodo fail this leak test?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ZeroDay, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

You've completely and utterly missed the point! Comodo gave me no alert what so ever And I had it set up perfectly.

As for PC flank leak test being a hips test their website clearly states it's a firewall test.

And just so it sinks in. Comodo gave me no firewall alert!

2. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

They can say whatever they want about the test, OLE automation is done locally between processes.
    It's as much of a firewall test as matousec is a firewall testing site. :)

In any case, it's something on your end, Comodo is clearly blocking/intercepting OLE automation, as per screenshots posted.

3. ZeroDay

It was a fresh install of windows 7 and comodo. Anyway I'm no longer concerned about comodo failing the leak test I've switched back to oa :)

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Not everything that is written on a site is the truth.

It's a matter of configuration of your security setup. For you Comodo allowed it, for me it stopped it. It's the same program, but configured in different ways.

5. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

@Breakfastofchumps, OA also gives HIPS alert, it is not a firewall alert. They explained well. :thumb:

6. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Emsisoft Anti-Malware pops up, brands the download as malicious and stops it in its tracks (unless you override the admonition to quarantine).

7. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Purchase a router and dont worry so much about "tests".

Worry about things that matter in life,dont make things so difficult.

8. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Great answer. :thumb:

9. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

This is more of a leak test and pure firewalls will simply fail this test unless combined with HIPS.

So when exploits let's say taking advantage of your browser's vulnerabilities will execute codes that will return a command shell to the hacker or that will download malware like trojans and rootkits or keyloggers which will capture any keystrokes and will phone away passwords etc, those "Firewalls" with Application Control may be able to catch that malware from phoning home or that cmd shell trying to connect out but if these malware codes will do code injections on trusted processes which is whitelisted on your firewall rules. It's game over. Routers will not save you from those situations.

HIPS and application firewalls can be configured to catch such unwanted behaviours like dll injections, process modifications, etc, which a malware code might do. And if your Comodo fails this test, it means you haven't configured it properly to catch remote COM calls on which your OA have been configured conveniently to alert you of such unwanted action.

If you don't do much online banking, no trade or company secrets to guard and do regular back ups, yes, router and AV will suffice.

Edit:
    Persons who don't want an AV or a very obtrusive HIPS will find a likewise stronger protections from Sandboxing and/or NoScript and other whitelisting layers such as LUA-SRP/Applocker/AE barring those very rare memory only malwares and other advanced threats used in targeted attacks. If it can't execute in the first place, it can't do those above code injections and other malicious actions.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  10. pshipwrite

pshipwrite Registered Member

Through this thread, I was introduced to the website PC Flank. After running a few tests, though, I question the test results produced by the site. For example, I ran the Advanced Port Scanner and the following 4 ports were reported as being closed, not stealthed: 135, 137,138, 139.

To verify these results, I went to Steve Gibson's ShieldsUP! website and tested these 4 specific ports via Gibson's User Specified Custom Port Probe. Gibson reported all 4 ports as having a status of "Stealth". I have complete trust in Gibson's test results, since Steve Gibson does not promote any computer software/hardware. PC Flank, on the other hand, prominently promotes and recommends the Outpost Pro Firewall product.

p.s. Regarding Breakfastforchumps' question, I too have the Comodo Firewall and Comodo correctly flagged the downloaded PCFlanktest executable as a malicious item.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Both great software but Comodo requires more tinkering for better results :D
    Still i prefer OA (Who smells fanboyism :shifty:)

12. majid20

majid20 Registered Member

I think you failed in that test because you made PCFlankLeaktest.exe, trusted file in comodo

If you enable Sandbox in comodo and execute one file , that file gone to sandbox and can't do anything
    But if you choose Don't isolate it again , That file gone to Trusted Files in comodo Defense+
    And you give some access to that file
    For that reason you failed in that test

First You must check that PCFlankLeaktest.exe is not trusted file in comodo Defense+
    Move it to Unrecognized Files
    And test again
    You can see even if you don't get any alarm, you will pass that test ;)

13. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

well actually the steve gibson site does promote software.its zonealarm firewall.
    i think its a case of which company pays the most cash for a positive result and this is how i beleive matousec operates as well.if you pay them enough they will pass your firewall.

14. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

There are a number of current threads in the firewall section about Comodo Firewall, but in the posts reference is being made to the Sandbox and Defense Plus settings. This may be confusing some that aren't (sadly) familiar with Comodo programs.

Defense+ and the Sandbox are not part of Comodo Firewall, but are included with the firewall and AV in Comodo Internet Security. I'm sure almost everyone knows this, but just wanted to clarify for those that may not.

15. a256886572008

a256886572008 Registered Member

sandbox level: partially limited

Attached Files:

16. cruelsister

You REALLY should change D+ to either Restricted or Untrusted.

17. ZeroDay

If you mean me I always set D+ to Untrusted

18. cruelsister

Not you dear Sir. I noticed A25 had hers (his) on Partially limited in the post above and got a bit concerned. Not much difference between Restricted and Untrusted, but as I guess you know already there is a world of difference between Partially Limited and everything else.

19. a256886572008

a256886572008 Registered Member

XP Pro SP3 32bit

partially limited --> popup an alert window
    limited --> popup an alert window
    restricted --> block automatically
    untrusted --> block automatically

---------------------
    The enhanced protection mode must be enabled for X64 system.

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Chrome passes also :D

Attached Files:

21. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I tried every test they offer. All fail, in multiple ways.

I have no firewall, no AV, no HIPS. Just windows 7 without UAC and chrome/sandboxie. And some applied common sense. Well, maybe a lot of tweaks to the OS helps too ;)

Sul.

22. ZeroDay

Ahh my mistake sorry :)

23. ZeroDay

Go Chrome :thumb:

24. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I dont put a lot of faith in these "test sites"
    if you look on their site it clearly advocates you use outpost firewall everywhere so no doubt they are getting "donations" from agnitum.
    Shields up is the same.Zonealarm plastered everywhere,
    Comodo leak test.its strange that comodo always does well and others not so well.
    Its clearly obvious to me that their is some company funding going on here.
    Matousec is another culprit..the list could go on.
    Its misleading to say the least.i personally dont trust any of these "test sites"
    Regards.:thumb:

25. cruelsister

Steve Gibson's website (ShieldsUP, etc) has been around for years and really doesn't promote any product. Where did you see ZoneAlarm advertised on the site? I certainly didn't see anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.