Why do you use LookNStop firewall?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Sibilant, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sibilant

Sibilant Registered Member

I'm a recent convert from Norton Antivirus to NOD32 and I just wanted to get the skinny from Look n Stop users.

Why would I want to switch from Norton Firewall to Look n Stop? Does it leave a smaller fingerprint on my system? Is it more secure? Is it easier to configure?

I'm looking for a firewall that is more secure and uses less resources[tall order]. I got that with NOD32! Is it a similar story with LNS.

Thanks!

P.S. I only open one port for a Remote Desktop Application.

2. Azn_Tweaker

Azn_Tweaker Registered Member

Re: Why do yoiu use LookNStop firewall?

i recommend using outpost :p

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Azn_Tweaker,

The question is about LNS, not Outpost.

Please stay on topic here.

snowbound

4. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

On my computer, Look'n'Stop uses 1,500 K of Memory, compared to 10,000 K+ from ZoneAlarm Pro.

It has a very small fingerprint, it's very secure if you use the Enhanced ruleset and it is very easy to configure. It has a wonderful interface that with a few minutes of tinkering around with, you'll hopefully have optimal settings.

It passes the GRC stealth test successfully ^_^ And plus it comes with Stateful Packet Inspection!

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Why do you use LookNStop firewall?
    I use looknstop Sibilant because its a lite firewall that gives me the very best protection with one click of the advanced ruleset after loading it up on my system . I have no knowing about the in s and outs of firewalls and wanted for my money a peice of software that will load up and protect me . For $39 ( one off payment) it does this .there is no renewal price at all, and the updates between same major numbers are free .all customers updated their 2.04 to the 2.05 version for
    free, and all customers who wish to stay with the 2.04 can use it for life without paying again.

THe support is excellent and fast . And there is also the forum right here at wilders .

6. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

You will not find another firewall as lite as LNS. And yet, it is as powerful as any other out there

7. JimBob2000

JimBob2000 Registered Member

I'm a relatively new user, but LooknStop works great. Initial setup is easy. Just install and load the EnhancedRulesSet and you're ready to go. Uses only 1200-1900k. The nice thing is-you can still write any rules you need/want plus application rules also.

8. Sibilant

You're all pretty convincing! I'll have to download the demo.

Does anybody know how it has tested security-wise compared to other firewalls?

Thanks for all of your input!

9. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I reach Full Stealth on all tests.

Look at the Leak-test results on www.pcflank.com

10. solarpowered candle

11. Sibilant

Excellent info! LNS performed the best but still none are 100%. With the new IE exploit with no patch on the way, it’s kinda disheartening.

12. solarpowered candle

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  13. Sibilant

I recently switched to Firefox and have been pretty happy with it. It's just disappointing that there isn't anything that would test at 100%. I know its a tall order, but thats where the bar should be set.

14. stockwiz

stockwiz Guest

Look N stop is the most powerful firewall available, along with outpost, IMO. Outpost is larger, with ad blocking, and uses more memory, which is not necessary for someone who uses firefox like myself and can code ad blocking right into the browser.

When all settings are enabled.. stateful packet inspection, thread injection, DNS calls, advanced operation... the firewall passes every test including thermit. The only test it fails is copycat, but no firewall passes the copycat test. It only uses about 2-3 MB memory while running, and is fast as can be. Look N Stop and Outpost are the two most powerful software firewalls available.. why would somebody NOT use one of them? Granted they are not free... cough... but they can be with a bit of searching. I'll probably end up buying look N stop just to support them because I think so highly of the firewall. Coming from me, that is praise.. actually buying a piece of software.. that's how highly I think of it.

15. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

Besides the reasons already mentioned, effectiveness, ease of use, small use of resources, there's one really important one for me--it doesn't seem to have many conflicts with other programs. About the only program which seems to give rise to a problem is Javacool's Spyguard which seems to have the effect of blocking LnS' application control.

LnS' stability and ability to play well with other programs got me to switch from Outpost Pro 2.1, even though I liked that program better than LnS in some ways.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  16. redman

redman Registered Member

I like it because it appears to be very secure and the developers concentrate on making a firewall and not a firewall + fancy add-ons.

One of my favourite features is the way that Look n Stop automatically removes rules for uninstalled applications. I used Outpost before discovering Look n Stop but I'm glad I changed.

17. Sibilant

I've tried Outpost and it was definitely a good product. It's more user friendly. LNS seems more configurable and uses a lot less resources. All I want and need is a firewall. From what I've seen LNS is better. I keep hearing things about outpost. Is there something that I'm missing?

18. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

Having used licensed versions of both Outpost and LnS I can take a shot at making a comparison of the advantages of each.

Both will protect well against external attacks --I have gotten full stealth on both in the usual tests, GRC, Symantec, PCFlank (the LnS, however, must be set to use its enhanced rule set).

Advantages of LnS--uses fewer computer resources, fewer conflicts with other programs, smaller download, so far no need to pay for upgrades, seems to pass more leak tests see http://www.firewallleaktester.com abilility to apply stateful packet inspection across the board by checking one box, more easily configurable on options other than control of outgoing applications

Advantages of Outpost--active content, ad blocking plugins included, superior logging ability, ability to specify ip address, port, remote host etc. for outgoing applications rather than just allow or deny (this is fairly easy to use thanks to the Rule Wizard which allows you to trigger an application and then simply allow the custom rule suggested by Outpost, but some people might actually find it to be a disadvantage), no limitation on number of rules, larger more active bulletin board.

As I said earlier, both are fine products, but for me the advantages of the LnS outweighed the advantages of Outpost Pro. Others will undoubtedly weigh matters differently.

Hope this helps

19. redman

redman Registered Member

I still have a current licence for Outpost, which I use on an old computer. The two things that made me decide to look for another firewall were: 1) when I downloaded version 2.1 I immediately found that my code was no longer valid and I was left without a firewall for a few days while waiting for un upgrade to be processed and 2) I didn't like the way the new version kept contacting the Outpost server (allegedly just for downloading the latest news but with all the paranoia about spyware these days, it made me feel uncomfortable).

20. jgama

jgama Registered Member

Hello!
    I would recommend LNS as the best personal firewall because it is both friendly and flexible. For people who don't care about the technical side of it, they just have to use the EnhancedRulesSet and it will work fine. For people who want more detail on specific ports, the way rules are created is the easiest I've ever seen. The raw edition plugin allows you to filter packets with 100% control over the packet's data. This is my personal opinion.
    Peace,
    JG

21. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

1. Light footprint (uses alot less memory than ZoneAlarm)
    2. Just a firewall plain and simple yet powerful.
    3. The install file itself is less than 700 KB usually.
    4. ZoneAlarm adds about 30+ file types (starting with .z) for use with its e-mail scanner which to me is just registry bloat.
    5. Stateful Packet Inspection (for those who do not have hardware firewalls)
    6. Customized rules - The most popular rulesets include
    - Standard
    - Enhanced
    - Phant0m's

(I notice for most powerful programs out there there is a particular person who has tweaked and revised some 'gosu ruleset' for others to use.)
    ie.
    Phant0m's rules for look 'n' stop
    JD5000's rules for Proxomitron

22. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I ran Outpost 2.1 for about a week, and was quite impressed by it. Until, that is, I found I could not get around a serious bug it has, which prevents some web sites from loading properly.

But the real "deal breaker" for me is the fact (yes, fact) that Agnitum offers terrible support. This thread reinforces both points for me.

At least when I send Frederic (the author of LNS) an email, he replies within a couple days. For me, that counts for a lot.

23. iwod

iwod Registered Member

After using it a bit more.....

Am i correct in saying Outlook is slightly easier to use while mem is higher......

24. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Do you mean Outpost, rather than Outlook? If so, then yes, Outpost definitely uses more memory than LNS does. But so do all other personal firewalls.

Which firewall is "easier" is a subjective judgment. Each has its own advantages.

LNS is much better supported. (This is not subjective.)

25. Re: Why do yoiu use LookNStop firewall?

How does the raw edition plugin work? Does anyone have an example of how this plugin is used?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.