Why do people dislike Ubuntu so much?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

As I read your post my smile kept getting bigger. Thank you. :argh:

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Trust me, i've used Ubuntu more than a dozen times through all these years . . . only to go back to Windows in less than 24H.
    Even as a secondary OS i dont really see the benefit of Ubuntu over Windows based on my needs.

As always, one of my problems is that i dont understand the OS, specially Terminal. Lots of things requires you to use Terminal and i always have a hard time with it.
    Im not really that good at CMD but i can get through it easily if i need to but with Terminal im a mess.

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

This is exactly what I do. But I don't think I am smart, I just want to run Linux. Although Im trying to learn commands one at a time but sometimes it just gets too overwhelming.

I don't understand much of it either. But it doesn't matter much. You more than likely don't need more than few things ran at commands and only once to configure your hardware. Just type what you need fixed and ask ubunutu in google and your question gets answered.

For me the only thing that's really acting out right now is the trackpoint. I run 2 commands that adjust it's speed and sensitivity and I create a text file to make that change permanent and it solves my problem. Now after 1 month, I actually know what each command does and which files get changed.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I echo what matt says. Definitely I don't feel smarter using Linux, but I feel some satisfaction in knowing I can use another option, with reasonable competence, besides Windows if I so desire. One thing I like about the terminal (I think DOS shell is the same??) is that it "remembers" commands executed, so no matter how complex it is, it's just a simple matter of using up/down arrow keys to re-enter them. It makes things so much easier :)

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I was liking Ubuntu through version 10.10. After that I started to lose interest. Unity is too Mac OS like, which is something I am not a fan of.

6. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Just my opinion on it, but I think the reason why a lot of people don't like Ubuntu is because it's becoming less "linux" or what, Linux is supposed to MEAN.

You know, Linux is meant to be technical and you can do tricky things and feel proud when you accomplish something. Well.... Ubuntu just works. generally I think people who use linux are people who are interested in how computers work and just in general using them... Ubuntu however is becoming less interesting for enthusiasts to use(I'd say a lot of linux users are enthusiasts? minus mint and ubuntu mostly)

^^ Just my opinion!
    I'd be interested in seeing Mrk. Doing a write up of this question and giving his take on it

7. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

For me part of it is the "all desktops must be 3D glitzfests" meme.

I actually love Unity 2D; as of 12.04.3 it's fast and awesome. But Unity 3D is a wallowing pig (because none of my computers have the graphics power to run Compiz decently). And making window management a 3D thing is just totally gratuitous IMO.

I feel that the Windows 9x desktop represented a peak of good UI design. Desktops that more or less followed that model - like KDE 3 and Gnome 2 - were very powerful and very usable. Such desktops are not entirely suitable for touch-screen devices, but they're not obsolete.

Unity 2D is a different kind of desktop, but has its own strengths. But Unity 3D, and other 3D desktops, IMO cover up a lack of innovation in the power department with a gratuity of eyecandy.

I have no problem with making Linux easy to use. Actually, as a monetarily free operating system, I think it should be usable by people who can't afford the latest Windows/OSX version, and want a secure platform for accessing the Internet, writing and viewing documents, etc. Think "bicycle for the mind." And all the 3D stuff that's been shoehorned into Linux desktops lately IMO defeats that purpose.

Edit: more specifically re Ubuntu, I think a lot of people dislike it because (in my experience) the six month releases are *very* buggy. The LTS versions are consistently excellent though.

8. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

the main issue with ubuntu is stability and boltware on resource and unity stupid lens system

stupid lens i mean you search and get strange results also recent file list keep coming even blocking them in privacy and even turn it off.

if these things correct maybe ubuntu not that bad.....

the only thing that biggest is turn off is stability, specially driver issues and heavy on resources specially on cpu pity unity good but not smooth as mint and i dont mean LTS as i am not using it.

9. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

Because it is commercial and not privacywise.

10. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

Has anyone ever found if drivers within ubuntu or linux distros are as good in terms of quality/performance/features compared to windows drivers ?

I tried to install say Nvidia drivers under ubuntu and it proved a headache, this is when I then thought I doubt the overall quality would match windows software.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

What graphics card do you have? I have no problem with the NVIDIA driver on Arch Linux.

12. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

Am using an ATI card, maybe I do need to give it another bash with ubuntu but yeah its pretty frustrating to use it full time.

Am just perhaps seeing the limitations of it as an excuse to ditch it ;)

Ie for example if I want to install ATI drivers I need to go thru this :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Who has time to read all that lol, on windows you just visit ati.com and click auto detect and install icon ;)

I noticed there is no device manager so you cant really see your soundcard or install drivers, I see ubuntu installs its own default drivers so your not going to get the best of your hardware until you figure out how to install the drivers.

Then the issue remains lets say you wanna install ms office or spotify....

list is endless, windows is sadly the ultimate friendly double click and enjoy experience without the stress and headache !

13. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i tried Ubuntu i few times but i just did not care at all for Unity.
    i thought it was just as bad, if not worse, than Metro.

i loved Xubuntu though.

14. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

For me I like that Ubuntu simplifies things for the user, whilst still having the full Linux under the hood.
    Linux is not meant about being technical and doing tricky things, its about making hard things easier. *nix devs and admins are lazy; That's why networking and init system evolved from scripts to made doing repetitive tasks easier and solve new problems. Its why distributions exist (to ease installation and configuration and maintenance) so we can put effort into solving new problems. Its also why I don't like the Arch/Gentoo approach for general use, as they are a relative maintenance burden and don't actually offer much more than Ubuntu can give you (which can be installed with a minimal server install and you can build your own packages it you want).

Cheers, Nick

15. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

For me ubuntu just works. I love the fact that if i have a problem i can just google it and type in solution in the terminal. The only recent problem I had was the wireless not liking realtek wifi card. Which fails to work if im far away from wifi. I got myself expresscard wifi to solve the problem. I still feel like cannonical could do a better with out of the box support but it is still by far better than other distros.
    I think ubuntu has a real shot at the market if they can get their operating system preinstalled and sold with computers.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I installed 12.04 today and I like it a lot. No issues. 13.04 seemed buggy to me when I tried it last week, but 12.04 is very stable. Going to use it for a while and see how I like Unity again... I had written Ubuntu off in favor of Mint, but this is pretty nice...

17. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I dislike Ubuntu because:

* It's a disgrace of a Linux distro, just horrible
    * It's bloated
    * Crashes often and is NOT userfriendly
    * Spyware
    * Slow
    * Canonical makes dumb choices (Mir, Unity)
    * Users get no control whasoever over what gets installed
    * Install process is terrible
    * Freezing, where software gets old and unusable (GIMP 2.6 never got updated on Ubuntu 12.04 AFAIK)
    * Package breakage happens a lot on non-LTS

Mint developers do a way better job than Canonical's, making Mint by far the most user friendly Distro.
    Or, from a quote that I love:

~ Removed Quoted Text - See Link ~

Debian is the base of Ubuntu and it's way better, more reliable, stable.

Debian devs release: Stable; Stable; Stable; Stable; Stable.
    Canonical releases: Meh; OK; Sucks; Terrible; Are you kidding; Kinda stable; crap

My favorite distro? Arch Linux.
    Fast (and Ubuntu users will notice the speed improvement), custom, I only install what I want, always the latest software, no spyware, not bloated with tons of software I won't need and are installed just because other distros need to "fulfill most users needs", you get a big learning curve, small community but way stronger than Ubuntu's (askbuntu and the ubuntuforums sucks), no company trying to shove their decisions on my throat or waste money on unnecessary things.

And I have had NONE bug on Arch so far. Ubuntu on the other hand..........

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
  18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

So, you don't like it then? :)

19. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Well................. no :p

20. wat0114

I tend to agree with this statement.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I do too. Mint does a great job making the best out of the box user experience...

22. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

For me there are 2 sides to Ubuntu – I like Ubuntu\Unity, mainly because Unity is so different to the other distro desktops. But – because my laptop doesn't have the graphics power to support 3D acceleration, Ubuntu12.10 and 13.04 ran like those slo-mo sequences in Hollywood movies – so slow as to be unusable. Ubuntu12.04, on the other hand, runs like a dream.

I originally installed 12.10 as my first experience of Ubuntu and couldn't believe how painful it was to use. I then saw on Ubuntu forums the positive comments about 12.04 - installed it and it's now a keeper for me. Running the 2 alongside each other (in Virtualbox) was truly a Jeckyl and Hyde experience – 12.10 = horrible : 12.04 = nice.

I installed 13.04 to compare it to 12.10 and found it was just as bad. I then installed KDE desktop which transformed a painful Ubuntu13.04 into a smooth and slick Kubuntu13.04!

23. wat0114

Yesterday I updated the nVidia drivers on my mint 15 xfce installation, and all has gone well except for one crash at startup a few minutes ago. i rebooted and it proceeded with no issues. However, the driver update has resulted in far less cpu usage when i play Flash video on the browser, whether it be Chrome or Firefox.

Based on what I've seen in this forum, it seems LTS is the way to go for the least amount of bug issues :)

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, LTS always seems to be the cleanest, whether it be Mint or Ubuntu. :thumb:

25. Gitmo East

Gitmo East Registered Member

I'm just loving the fact that Ubuntu/Mint/whatever Linux distro are been used, tested and adopted by more and more people. I'm seeing this in many areas and by many different folk.
    Is this a side effect of the Snowjob revelations ? A symptom of peoples mistrust of Microsoft ? Not totally and not in every case but it may have a lot to do with it.
    The transition away from Windows is not always simple and can lead to a bit (lot) of head banging and forehead slapping but ultimately is worthwhile.
    In my eyes it also vindicates and gives worth to the efforts and risks of the people attempting to expose the spying and surveillance that (some) Nation states seem to be addicted to.
    This is my main reason for championing LMDE, It's as they say "ready to go out the box" so for people making the big decision to switch this process is as simple as possible.
    I have found in my experience that Ubuntu is that little bit too different and tricky to get around that people coming from Windows can be overwhelmed, where as Mint and Cinnamon can be used by anyone who can use windows, even basic windows use is no harder on Mint. With Cinnamon 2.0 this has only become more so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.