Why do many computer programs now continually update?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by RCGuy, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I understand why ant-spyare programs and anti-virus programs continuously update, but I don't understand why some others do. I just sat in front of my computer for 15 minutes updating Adobe Reader which is version 7.0.8, however, in addtion to updating version 7.0.8, it also updated version 7.0.5 and version 7.0.7. And each update took around 5 minutes, plus, each update required a restart of my computer. ....I'm sorry, but I don't get it. o_O Also, I would think that I shouldn't have to update my Adobe Reader for a while now, but let's see how long until the Adobe Reader update nagscreen pops up again. If it pops up again in about a week or two, then something's not right. Also, why does a program like CrapCleaner need to be updated on a regular basis? I mean, it basically does the same function everytime you use it without too much variance in the files and folders that it deletes from your computer. I don't get it. o_O Could someone explain?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

iirc, adobe reader has updates to address vulnerabilities.

ccleaner, otoh, has updates for bug fixes, translations, and other minor things.

OT: ive long since replaced adobe reader with foxit reader.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Anything that is going to interact with the internet or run downloaded files should generally be kept up to date to avoid security vulnerabilities. Others, like CCleaner, are generally just going to contain bug fixes and such, as WSFuser noted. The constant updating of CCleaner gets a bit annoying to me, and I also switched to Foxit, but otherwise I will keep things updated as much as possible. Once you get a good set of prefered software, this shouldn't be too much hassle.

4. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Thanks, guys.

5. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

BTW, what are the advantages of the Foxit Reader over Adobe?

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Foxit is smaller and faster :thumb:

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Unfortunately, my online-bank forces me to keep on using Adobe Reader. :'(

8. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Thanks, guys. And I'm just hoping that neither one of my bank accounts that uses pdf files for their online statements require that I use Adobe. :doubt:

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I hope so too RCGuy, I didn't had the choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.