Why do I still have 3.0.667 if .684 is out?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by TravisO, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TravisO

TravisO Registered Member

I run English NOD32 (32 bit) on Vista on my desktop and laptop. While I don't expect every single new build to be pushed to my desktop, 684 mentions "stability and security fixes" which one would think are pretty noteworthy.

So why does my setup consider 667 to be up to date? My key is still valid, I still receive daily definition updates.

I know I can manually install the new version, but my question is whether this is intentional from ESET? Do they feel the changes from 667 to 684 aren't important enough to push the new version? The 6 month gap is pretty long, so I can't write this up to somebody just forgetting to upgrade the Eset server.

2. GAN

GAN Registered Member

This question been asked a lot of times before in this forum. If you search you should be able to find the answer from eset, but basically you have to download and install new program versions manually. If you need to know why i suggest you search in this forum to find those threads where it's discussed/answered already. And yes it's intentional.

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hi,

As far as I know, the difference between different builds of v3 (.669 to .672 or .667 to .684) is small and you are only recommended to download and install the latest build number if you are having problems with the build of v3 you are currently using. As long as you are using v3 (the latest version) and it's working normally then there's no reason to update to the absolute latest build of v3. The difference between the builds is usually just minor fixes to glitches only a handful of users may be experiencing. For these reasons, ESET doesn't push these build updates as mandatory updates. Thus, if you want to update to the latest build to resolve issues you are having that were resolved in later builds, you must manually download and install the latest build of v3 from ESET's website.

Hope this helps you!

P.S: I also wonder what "stability and security" fixes were applied in this most recent build. Usually, they say exactly what issues were corrected!

Regards,

Mark.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. TravisO

TravisO Registered Member

Thanks for the detailed reply xMarkx, basically that's what I assumed, that the changes were so trivial they felt it wasn't important for people to use.

But considering it's an AV package, and the most important aspect in protecting my computer, the term "stability and securing" raises a red flag.

I'm not the sole user on my PC so I'll add the new version just in case.

5. PRJUS

PRJUS Guest

The ability to detect and remove malware doesn't change with new builds but they typically fix problems and perhaps improve performance.

I think there are very good reasons not to upgrade automatically because you can never know if an update causes problems somewhere. It may solve some problems and it may introduce new ones as well.

What if ESET updated NOD32 in a network with say 1000 computers and they all crashed? It could very well happen and who was going to pay to get all the computers up and running again let alone the loste revenue because the users couldn't use the computers.

New isn't always better - you have to consider if you will benefit from the the new version and test it in your environment first.

6. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.