WHY differential OR incremental so slow??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by demoneye, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i try ATI 11 using incremental . . . its took along time (about 8 minuts) to restore a 2 giga data ( full restore).... i know and i check other products same as ATI (shadow protect , drive snapshot) which are secs in restore...

can someone here explain me that speed difrents?

another question...which method is the fastes ? (differential OR incremental )

chers:cautious:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello demoneye,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Backup software.

The time to restore depends on many things so let me ask you several questions which would help me to understand why it took about 8 minutes to restore 2Gb. Environment you restore under has a crucial influence on the restoration speed, so please tell me whether you restored under Acronis Bootable CD or under Windows? Tell me also what type of backup archive did you restore (I mean whether it is disk/partitions backup, data backup or anything else). Could you also clarify what compression level was used while creating backup and what restore option have you chosen (here I mean restore using sector-by-sector approach or restore specified files or folders modes)? Where is the backup file located (external USB drive, network share, etc)? And could you also tell me what is the build number of the version you use?

I'm really sorry for asking so many questions but all the answers are needed to find out the reason of such a performance.

As for the second question dealing with incremental or differential, please note that the restore speed does not depend on it, so both incremental and differential are to be restored with the same speed if they are the same size.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

3. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

10x for reply mate
    i am using in windows restore/backup on EXT partition of c:\ drive using winxp sp3 ati 11 build 8053

along with this unknow speed problem i encore a strange acting when try anumber of incremental backup one after ther other ( no data been added) its somehow frick out and the 5 or 7 incremental backup is as the size as the FULL backup.(more and less)

also checked it on ATI echo WS same append....i recheck again and again always in somehow (5 - 8 incremental no data added ) make a backup same size as the full backup..

any idea what on earth is going on with this software??

chers

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello demoneye,

Thank you for your answer.

After consulting with one of our Experts Team I must say that restoring 2Gb of data within 8 minutes is not very impressive result but it's not a very bad result too. So in general it's normal for Acronis True Image 11 Home, especially if you are saying about Ext partition which is not a Windows native one and that's why we can't expect super performance here.

As for the issue dealing with the incrementals could you please clarify whether you run task manually or by schedule? This has a crucial importance in further issue investigation. Could you also clarify if you use Backup Locations feature?

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.