Why didn't they detect.........?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by WE Sim, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi! o_O

Now thinking back the last few days when I was pestered by lop.com, I wondered why SpywareGuard, Spyware Blaster and SpyCop didn't issue dats to detect and eradicate this lop.com spyware except for SpyBot & Ad-aware who are the ones solving the problem?

Or is it that they are detecting different types of spywares?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi WE Sim,

I am still studying (and torturing :) ) the sample you sent me. It´s a whole new version that creates random BHO CSLID´s, random named dll´s and exe´s.
    From the programs I have installed Ad-Watch 3 was the only one that recognized the installation as a harmfull process.
    As I told you in my e-mail it has been submitted in the meantime.

Regards,

Pieter

3. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi Pieter_Arntz! ;)

Thanks for your reply.

What would happened if Lop.com is a virus/trojan or worm? By the time those anti-virus/trojan/worm busters develop an effective antidote I think the whole computer system would have collapsed.

This particular one mutates so often creating different variants that make the anti-spyware difficult to cope (clean thoroughly).

Is this the beginning of a new type of spyware and that we will see more of such in the future......and possibly.....viruses, trojans, worms etc of such a nature?

I wonder what the anti-virus/trojan/worm companies are thinking now taking Lop.com as an example?

Thanks again

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi WE Sim,

Well, in their defense I would have to say that Adaware, Spybot S&D and PestPatrol all found big chunks of it once it was installed. Plus that System Safety Monitor and TDS alerted me to a startup change. And on top of that, my firewall alerted me to a new program trying to contact the internet.
    Lop.com is in many ways far worse then a trojan, since it doesn´t bother about installing secretly or try to stay unnoticed as long as possible. It´s "strength" lies in the fact that it tries to be as hard to remove as possible.

Regards,

Pieter

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi WE Sim and Pieter.

Another thing you could do to protect yourself against that type of predatory intrusion would be to install BrowserHijackBlaster from javacool.

It would have detected the BHO's, etc. and asked if you wanted to proceed. Said no, and no installation of it.

I just did an example for you chaning my default Home Page to this page you are viewing now, and up popped BHB to warn me.

see pic

Attached Files:

6. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi Tassie_Devils!

Thanks. I'll give it a try

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.