Why did my Firefox re-set itself?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Corrupted, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corrupted

Corrupted Registered Member

I was at the site (auditmypc.com) and all of a sudden firefox wouldn't work anymore. I exited and re-opened and a scree to create a 'user' popped up. When I finally got firefox back up, all my links and settings were erased. Any insight as to why this happened? THanks.

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

3. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

Check your profile directory.(I'm assuming you know where, if not just ask) Are the files still there?

4. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

Acadia no , the bug you refer to will not delete bookmarks, or other browsers settings as those are stored in the profile directory elsewhere and not the download directory.

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

That very same thing happened to me yesterday for the first time. Huh?
    I had clicked a link, it was building, but then I decided I did not want it, so tried to close out. FF then hung, not responding, so quit in Task Manager and when I went to reopen it, up pops this message do I want to create a User Profile.

I cancelled, and then rebooted, but when I opened FF again, it was like I was visiting all the sites for the first time, all my cache had been wiped out.

One other thing that has happened also twice now, when I clicked to Submit a Private Message [only on PM, not post reply], up pops a big Netscape window wizard, wanting me to connect to 'talk/chat program', when this happens I quit and the cache has been wiped out again for some reason.

Everything else is hunky dory though.

TAS

6. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

Are you sure the profile is not just locked?

Check if the files still exist below.
    Most people use default user as the profile name

Before the configuration files are presented, you should know how to find your "profile folder", as it is commonly called. The profile folder is where Firefox saves all your settings and refers to a location on your hard drive.

On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.xxx\, where xxx is a random string of 3 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ and the rest should be obvious.

On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.xxx\

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.