Why can't I burn my backup to DVD+R?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Seiken, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seiken

Seiken Registered Member

I've attempted to backup to a DVD, but every time I insert the media (TDK), I get an error saying media not good and keeps asking for a "CD."

I used a Sony CD-R, and it burned fine.. but I don't want to end up with numerous CDRs, when I can probably fit my entire backup on a single DVD.

I'm running Acronis True Image 9.0 and have a Lite-On DVD±RW with TDK DVD+R.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Seiken

Seiken Registered Member

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Seiken,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the current version of Acronis True Image doesn’t write to DVD directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software.

Please note that DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs can be formatted by any of the third-party UDF-packet DVD-writing applications, while DVD+R at this moment can be formatted only by Roxio Drag To Disc.

We would like to note that you should use UDF version 2.1 or lower. The point is that UDF versons higher than 2.1 are not supported when using Bootable Rescue CD and therefore images that are actually reside on DVD are not visible in rescue mode.

You can find more information on how to write your images to DVD in this FAQ article.

Please also note that the ability to write images to DVD directly will be implemented in the future builds/versions of a particular software, but exact time frame is not decided yet.

The other way to write an image to DVDs would be to create an image set with the archive splitting size at 2 GB on a local hard disk drive and then to copy the created image archives to DVDs.

Please note that once a full image is created as one consistent file it instantly becomes indivisible and in case it exceeds the limit of 4.7 GB (the maximum capacity of a DVD disc) you will not be able to divide it into parts and burn to DVDs. So when creating an image you should bear in mind where you want to store the image to.

However we would recommend you to set the archive splitting size manually if you are planning to transfer an image archive to DVD discs. The archive size should be set at 2 GB to avoid possible discrepancies when being restored later. This proviso relates to most of the modern DVD-writing software.

Please note also that if you use two-step method of DVD writing, you should finilize your DVD disks.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. Seiken

Seiken Registered Member

Thank you for your prompt reply, this gives me an idea of what steps I need to take next.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Seiken,

As well as Tatyana's good advice, you may find this <previous reply> useful.

Regards

6. Seiken

Seiken Registered Member

Thanks for the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.