why can't Dell just give me a Windows CD?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just got a Dell and it came with no Windows, or restore, cd, just with XP preinstalled. there was abit of paper saying to use System Restore if i ever had a problem. what a joke :rolleyes:

it's not a huge problem for me because i'm going to delete the whole windows partiton and install Linux, but what if i planned on using Windows? there'd be a time when it would stop working. i think it's stupid Dell doesn't give any cd at all :mad: is that what they always do?

2. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

CD's cost money iceni60. In order to maximize profits, Dell saves a bundle by not providing a Windows CD.

From a consumer's point of view, this is a hassle. But not all consumers will write to Dell asking for a Windows CD. Sure, a few do, but the masses usually just sit there wondering why their computer is so slow/broken.

From a business point of view, it's just another way to cut costs.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think i'll give them a call and ask for the cd/s then maybe sell the windows cd :D

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

It's because they are cheap bastards.
    Some companies give a restore CD. Others make just a special restore partition.
    That's another reason why I like building my own/custom built.

I don't know if this will work, but maybe you can make a slipstream CD from your installation?

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

After staring for three years at their slow/broken computer, they usually buy another Dell computer and this is also good from a business point of view. :D

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Here, it's $10 up front to have the Windows CD thrown in. Not sure what kind of deal you can get after the sale -- but it'll probably suck compared to $10 or 8 Euros or however many quid or whatever it'll cost you there.

Yeah, I agree with the other posters though -- I tend to think of this as all part of the mushroom treatment - keep you in the dark and feed you a bunch of B---s---.

7. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

When you were purchasing the computer, wasn't there an option to get a CD? My wife bought a laptop a little over a month ago, and there was an option to get a CD for $10 more.

C

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the ideas. no i didn't have an option to get the cd because i ordered over the telephone so i could get a discount, i got £60 off lol. like i said though it's not a big problem because i use ubuntu, not windows.

9. dog

dog Guest

Call customer service ... if they won't provide an OEM CD tell them you'll return the PC.

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

If you have the CD key on the side, you can easily use any XP Home (or whatever) OEM CD and just use the legitimate key that you were given. Reinstalling clean is usually the first things I do, now, on those kinds of machines. If you really run into trouble you can usually call Microsoft customer service and explain the problem and they will give you a new key if necessary (for instance if you have a retail version of the same OS on CD and the OEM refuses to help). I had to do this a while back when working on an OEM system, the person lost their key and the OEM refused to help. I just called MS customer service and explained what happened and they gave me a key to use with a CD I already had to get the person going again.

11. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hi,

Just my 2cents, but when you order your computer you have the option in the process to request a copy of windows, of course you'll be charged for it.

Cheers,
    fluxgfx.com

12. crofttk

:eek: OK, well now that's the third time it's been said -- it must be the charm ;) -- maybe you really ought to try dog's recommendation. I know you're not hung up on Windows, but it's the kind of thing that should be alot easier to get now than later I would think.

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

knowing me i'll probably end up without a computer :D
    thanks, i hadn't thought about that.

there's only a tiny chance i'll keep Windows (if Linux won't work with my new hardware, which i'm sure it will) what i didn't know was i could have ordered a spare cd for alittle extra money, so i think that answers my question :)

14. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

If your PC is relatively new (still under warranty), they will send you whatever CDs you request - i.e., those associated with the specific software licenses purchased from them (of course). All it takes is a phone call and giving them your 'tag' numbers.

While it's Dell's policy (as well as that of some other top brands) to no longer include CDs with their PC shipments, I had no problem whatsoever getting a Windows installation CD (upon calling tech support and requesting it) for each of my 2 Dell PCs (desktop and laptop).

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK, well this is what i'm going to do - call up tech support and try and get them to send me a free cd. if i can't get it for free i'm not going to ask for it lol

16. pvsurfer

Just have your service/express tag numbers handy - the CDs will be sent to you at no charge.

17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK, i'll call tomorrow :cautious:

18. crofttk

Best of luck !:)

19. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, you can get pretty high discounts online (30% off, $400 off $1000 etc.).
    From Dell, it seems to look like Restore CDs are free, and $7 to get a normal XP CD (when you are ordering).

20. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Iceni60,
    Then just complain that the sales rep (get his/her name) didn't offer you the CD option and you are not happy with the service.
    If the salesperson doesn't want to help, ask for supervisor.
    They only make more money by offering you the CD.

21. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Originally Posted by pvsurfer:
    Just have your service/express tag numbers handy - the CDs will be sent to you at no charge.

SO you can bundle CD while you buy for 10$ or get a free one if you call later o_O?

22. pvsurfer

All that I can tell you is that over the past 2-years, I purchased a Dell desktop and laptop (online). Neither one came with a Windows CD. It was never disclosed to me (online) that I would not get a Windows CD (with either PC). The desktop came with WinXP Pro loaded on it and the laptop came with WinXP Media Center loaded on it.

A few months after receiving each PC I called Dell tech support and requested the corresponding Windows installation CD. Each time they asked for my service and express tag numbers and that was it. I received each CD 1 - 2 weeks after requesting it. Neither CD cost me anything more than my phone call.

Hope that clears it up for ya...;)

PS. If it matters, I'm in the US.

23. HJam72

HJam72 Registered Member

I once bought a Compaq Presario and found out a few days later that the restore CD didn't work at all. It was blank. So, I called the support number, told him the restore CD didn't work, asked for a new one to be shipped to me, and he said, "Sure, that'll be $50. Do you have your credit card # handy?" I said, "Nevermind," and hung up. That computer is now sitting next this one with an I/O switch and it only runs Linux, partly because Windows is long gone.

It did manage to last until I gave it to my father, who screwed it up with spyware (and who knows what else--probably several virii) within a week.

Compaq is now dead, for all intensive purposes. Dell, IMHO, has become Compaq in many ways, whom they destroyed. Show me someone who will buy a Dell with Vista on it soon and I will assume that they are clueless. I won't always be right about that, of course, but it leaves an impression, as far as I'm concerned. But, that's OK--I was clueless once too. :D

My answer to the question that is also the title of this thread is: because they care about money, not their customers.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.