Why are you running Windows?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by meneer, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Linux is here, Reactos is not. Nice effort though, but I doubt if it will ever deliver...

2. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

I can't totally give up Windows. Fortunately, I don't have to. In the near future, I am going to set up my computer as a multiboot system. For email and the Web, I will mainly use Linux or FreeBSD (or OpenBSD). And when I need to use a program that needs Windows, I'll reboot into Windows 2000 Pro (or Windows 98 SE).

As a side benefit, I suspect that this setup may actually help increase my productivity. How? By freeing up more time for productive work by reducing the amount of time spent surfing the Web (since it is more trouble to shut down Windows and reboot into Linux). :D

Phil

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Uncertainty and limitations or my lack of understanding. However, I have a tech savy friend who told me years ago that eventually one ....one day Unix will rule.

Something else he did was collect all the Joe Camel stuff he could, said it would be collectable one day as one day it would be banned and worth something. ;)

4. squash

squash Registered Member

Experiences with Linux

Fedora Core - Bug in the installer, won't let me install without deleting my Windows partitions. Everything like modem works except my TV Tuner.

Ubuntu - Won't let specify root password, even if I tried as blank, won't work. Also won't let me specify modem initalization string (ATX3) like in Fedora. Also very very slow, compared to Fedora (And this is a HD install)!

Mandrake (now Mandriva) the best!!. But the CD-ROMs are scratched.

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  5. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

If you have tried Linux and think it's slow, you should consider trying VectorLinux. It's supposed to be a lean and lightning-fast Linux distro.

VectorLinux

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.